The SQL connection password is not saved after deployed to the server

• I developed an SSIS package in Visual Studio 2019 and deployed it to SQL Server 2017.  The package contains a SQL DB connection using Microsoft OLE DB Driver for SQL Server.  It worked fine until today when I updated the package with an email address change, then deployed it back to the server.  When executed from SQL Server Integration Services Catalogs, it returned an error:

An OLE DB error has occurred. Error code: 0x80040E4D.

An OLE DB record is available. Source: "Microsoft OLE DB Driver for SQL Server" Hresult: 0x80040E4D Description: "Login failed for user 'username'.".

After manually updating the password in Connection Managers before execution, everything worked as expected.  So what might cause this issue, i.e. password is no longer saved in a deployed package, and what I can do to make sure that the password will be saved after deployed to the server, without the manual update?

Thanks,

Jay

• Sensitive data like passwords are usually not stored inside packages, for security reasons.

Instead, they can be stored in SSISDB environments and marked as 'sensitive'. Once you have the password stored there, simply 'Configure' your deployed SSIS package and map the SSISDB variable to your deployed package's 'password' parameter.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Thanks Phil.  I'm going to update my packages to use the environment variables.

Still curious, what might caused this change since everything worked fine before.

Jay

• jay-125866 wrote:

Thanks Phil.  I'm going to update my packages to use the environment variables.

Still curious, what might caused this change since everything worked fine before.

Jay

Possibly something to do with ProtectionLevel, but that's little more than a guess.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Thanks Phil.

Appreciate your help!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply