The SQL server service on Local Computer started and then stopped

• Hello I am trying to restore the master database from one server to another as we are in the process of attempting to migrate our server. I stopped the service in single user mode and successfully restored the master database to the migration server through SQLCMD.

However when attempting to restart the SQL Service in multiuser mode, I get the following message:

“The SQL server service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some Services stop automatically if they have no work to do”

I have tried creating a new account with local administrative rights (the first account also had full admin rights), and using this but to no avail.

• I means there is problem with SQL Server. Check SQL Error log located at root. Most .....MSSQL\Log

• Since you restored the master database from another server it might be having issues finding MSDB/Model databases which might be in different paths on your other server.

As DB2008 suggested look at the ERRORLOG file as it will contain the issues SQL Server ran into when starting and please post that here so we can help :).

Thanks.

Mohit.

[font="Arial"]---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN[/url].
    Microsoft FTE - SQL Server PFE

* Some time its the search that counts, not the finding...
    * I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. :smooooth:[/font]

How to ask for help .. Read Best Practices here[/url].

• Gettind the following error in the log:

Open: Operating system error 3(error not found) occurred while creating or opening file 'E:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\data\mssqlsystemresource.mdf'. Diagnose and correct the operating system error, and retry the operation.

I take it from this that I have to make sure that the system database are in the exact location as the server I am transfering the master from ?

• As mohit said..the databases will be in different path..You can rectify the error by copying all the .mdf and .ldf files to the path which was in old server and then you will be able to start the service and once your service get started attach the DBs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply