The Top 10

• My problem with her post was it was only a complaint and not adding anything to the conversation.  Any concerned critical comments could have been done through a private message instead of trying to make Steve look like a dolt.

And staunch is a great description for you shushy... and "inspite of" and "because" are somewhat synonymous in this case I think sweetie.

Wheres your contribution to the 'flops' of MS.   Given MS's account balance, I would cry for those types of failures.

• My only problem with Tablets is they show how "cursive" my hand writing is.  I love the idea of toucch screen displays, given how many smudge prints there on most peoples monitors including my own, I suppose we think they all must be touch screens.

Doctors, Lawyers, and other supreme beings do not wish to write things down, they have underlings for that sort of thing.

• I disagree with 3 of the "flops" on the list..

The Tablet PC didn't flop -- it just serves a specific niche market and unfortunately for Microsoft the niche is still pretty small.  Tablets were never meant for everyone and for those who have the opportunity to use a tablet where it was intended would probably find it works great. 

For a quick example, I have a "convertible" -- a laptop that where the screen swivels and turns into a tablet so you can run it either way.  As a laptop I do .NET and web development and it runs both Microsoft IIS and Apache Web servers and both SQL Server 2000 and Oracle 10g at the same time.  I also attend grad school at night where I use it in tablet mode to take notes and record the classes (using Microsoft OneNote).  I'd never try to code in tablet mode, and I would never try to take economics notes in laptop mode (lots of graphs to draw). 

Microsoft Money still holds its own with Quicken.  I've used it for at least 8 years now.  It didn't gain market dominance like Word and IE did but plenty of people still use it.

Livemeeting also hasn't dominated the market, but it serves as a great alternative to WebEx.  Livemeeting and WebEx are head and shoulders above the rest of the competition in the webinar sphere though.  My only issue with Livemeeting is that it's too pricey for small or medium sized companies.  WebEx has the same problem.  Both are terrific tools though and I've used both on projects with larger companies who can afford the heafty subscription prices.

--

I would have added the various Office Assistants to your list, and the Microsoft GameVoice which was a horrible piece of engineering.

• Two years ago I was at a conference in Orlando Florida, listening to a very prominent member of the SQL Server engineering team speak (I don't want to say who, don't want to get him in trouble).

I waited until everyone else was out of the room then I went up to him and asked "Will SQL Server ever run on Linux?"

He looked around to make sure there was nobody else there, then he told me in a quite voice that his team already had it running in Linux. Afterall, he said, it is just a big C program. It was not that hard to accomplish.

He did say, however, that under the current Microsoft Administration we will never see a release for any OS other than Microsoft's.

I have to tell you this was really cool to find this out. I have been keeping my fingers crossed ever since!

• I think they should put it out there, but they don't usually listen to me

I'm not sure of the Tablet is a flop. It's still used by people, though not to the extent they'd hoped. At one point they were thinking they'd outnumber laptops for new sales.

I think Livemeeting has done well, just not dominating like many of their other products.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply