Things to look for when planning for PASS 2010

• Hi,

I am planning to attend the PASS Summit 2010, and since this is 1st attending, I need the guidance of the senior members here about few things.

What all do I need to consider when planning for the summit?

You can give as much info as possible, including how much it would cost (approx) for the accommodation. (I have never been to Seattle and would appreciate your advice on commuting experience / suggestions as well).

I saw the registration fee details from this link https://www.regonline.com/Registrations/dialog.aspx?du=1&EventID=784245&RegTypeId=287179.

Apart from Summit (3 Days), would there be additional events that would be beneficial to attend, if so those details would be a welcome.

I also saw there are Pre/Post-Conference Seminar, is that included in the the Summit price or it is an additional $780 ? What would be in that seminar ?

I have one question (which might be silly). Whether all sessions happen at the same time on different subject areas separately, what I mean is, multiple sessions happening at the same time and the participant can choose which session to participate.

Any additional information I missed asking here, would be appreciated.

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• A lot here, but let me help.

Downtown Seattle isn't that large. Lots of hotels that are < 5 minute walk to the convention center, but most are in the $150-200 range. So you don't necessarily save a lot. Gail probably has some other suggestions that are slightly further away, more like a 10-15 minute walk. If you don't mind walking, I'm sure you can get close to, or under, $100 a night. Since I don't spend a lot of time in the hotel, doesn't matter to me, but I typically stay at the Sheraton since it's close.

Pre/post cons are separate. I haven't gone to them, but most people think they're worth it. It's a full day of training on one topic. Typically it's someone that's an expert (Kalen Delaney, Paul Randal, Itzik Ben-Gan), that talks on a subject for a day. Plan on taking lots of notes to get your money's worth.

Registering now saves a lot. You can use our SSC2010 code now, save another $100, and come to our party (or pay $30 later). Right now the Summit is $1,195. Normal cost if you wait until Oct will be around $2k. It will jump to $1595 later, maybe more after that. So if you get the company to reg now, that can cover airfare, some of the hotel. And PASS is good about transferring to another person if you were to leave.

Most, or all, of your food is covered by that. Most events during the week, so not a lot of other costs. There is a light rail, or bus (Gray Line) from the airport, so that's inexpensive. I think I usually pay around $20 round trip for those.

The schedule usually has 8 or 9 sessions happening during the week at each time slot. Slots vary from 1 hour to 90 minutes, I think, and subject areas are all over the place. You'll miss some things you want to see, but the DVD set was $200 for attendees, and I think it's pretty good. Let's you check out sessions you missed.

The big thing is the networking. I think I'd rather spend the $200 on DVDs and miss more sessions to talk with people.

• Everything Steve said.

Plus, another way to cut costs is to volunteer for the PASS organization, bust your hump, and earn a free admission to the conference. It's not easy, but it's possible. That won't pay for the plane or hotel, but it cuts down on some of the cost.

During the conference, get on Twitter. You'll be privy to a second layer of real time information as the conference is going on. With this you can find out where someone you're interested in meeting is going to be (stalking at the conference is encouraged). The opportunity to meet your peers is absolutely unequaled. Talk to people. Just turn to the guy next to you and strike up a conversation. Keep an eye on the schedule and take advantage of things like the Birds of a Feather lunch that will give you the opportunity to meet people. Carry a big stack of cards with you so that you can share your contact information quickly & easily.

When you're scheduling attending sessions, always pick a couple of sessions for any given period. Sometimes they fill up, or what sounded good wasn't. Be ready to bail and go to another session. If there's no good sessions for you during a particular time slot, go visit the vendors, or better still, swing by the Microsoft experts area and see who's there. Meeting the guys who actually developed the technology you're working on is pretty exciting. More importantly, it can be very helpful. If you engage them you can develop a relationship.

But the key really is, getting out and meeting people. You'll have more fun and you'll get more out of the conference.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• When I registered, the price was under 1k and it was listed as being 1900 (they said 50% off).

I would look especially to the networking. The information is good, the networking is better.

Look for me at PASS - I'll be there.

Grant, what is this about volunteering (presenting, usher, other)?

Steve, I didn't see that code when I registered - is it too late?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Thanks Steve and Grant for your input.

I am going to register for the Summit 2010 and looking forward to meet you all there..

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• Jason,

Sorry, that code went into effect on Jan 15. Prior to that, when it's 50% off, it's too little money for PASS to support referrals. They'd lose money.

However we'll sell tickets for the party again.

• When do the tickets go on sale? I would like to attend.

Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (2/12/2010)

When I registered, the price was under 1k and it was listed as being 1900 (they said 50% off).

I would look especially to the networking. The information is good, the networking is better.

Look for me at PASS - I'll be there.

Grant, what is this about volunteering (presenting, usher, other)?

Steve, I didn't see that code when I registered - is it too late?

While there are volunteer opportunities at the summit, and those are great places to network as well. I like working as one of the Ambassador's (effectively, an usher) during the day. It's a great way to meet people.

But, what I was talking about was volunteering for the various committees that run PASS. For example, the Program Committee is actively looking for people. But there are other ways to volunteer as well. A few of the volunteer's, the ones that really stand out, get offered an entry to the Summit.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Thanks Grant

Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (2/13/2010)

When do the tickets go on sale? I would like to attend.

I'll put up an announcement soon. Need to finalize the contract with PASS and I'll post a note.

• Thanks Steve.

Learn Extended Events

• Does each User group get a free pass or something? I hope so... 🙂

-Roy

• Roy Ernest (2/17/2010)

Does each User group get a free pass or something? I hope so... 🙂

Each PASS chapter gets, for the chapter leader. You have to be an affiliated PASS chapter.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Gail and Roy,

Can you give your input on the questions I have, apart from what Steve and Grant have suggested. Anything that would need planning time, money, what to look for etc etc..

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• Not really.

Google will find you cheap hotels, the rates keep changing so check closer to the time.

Do not underestimate the time required to get a Visa if you're not from USA/canada. Fortunately I don't need one, but a couple friends who are currently in Seattle had some trouble this year because they left it late.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply