This is Cool

• Leave it to Jeff Bezos to come up with it. He just moved up quite a few notches on my "cool" list of people in the world.

A page at a time is the newest thing from Amazon. Amazon Pages will let you buy a page at a time, prices as yet determined. How cool is that? Need a reference of something, buy a page. Only care about that one chapter on the Web Services task for SSIS, buy just that chapter.

There are lots of possibilities and I think it's a great idea. Not sure how much I'll use it, but you never know. The second program is more interesting, but I'm not sure if it will fly. MP3.com tried it, but failed. If anyone can do it, Amazon can, but I'm gonna watch this one.

Amazon Upgrades - You buy a physical book, presumbly only from Amazon, and they give you online access to the book. Could be cool, buy a programming book and have access at work or home to samples, reread something, relearn it, etc. Lots of potential for abuse here with shared accounts at a company, but you never know.

Of course the flip side is more interesting. Or detrimental. Buy a novel, get online access, and while away some time at work, "flipping" through it.

Steve Jones

• "Buy a novel, get online access, and while away some time at work, "flipping" through it"....disagree with you on this - people who buy novels do so because they still enjoy the pleasure of reading while lazing in bed, lying on a hammock, classic fireplace and a glass of wine etc..I cannot imagine "flipping" through a book online while at work or anywhere else...

Also not sure about how much of a demand there'll be for "a page at a time" - these'll be only reference books/technical books - maybe it's just me but I'd rather the whole book when it comes to technical ones !!!

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• No doubt we will soon have books being written on-line, a page or chapter at a time, 'open source' style, with contributions from the readers.

David

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

• I know that many authors (per Jerry Pournelle and the SFWA) hate this model.  http://www.jerrypournelle.com/mail/mail388.html#copyright1  Mostly the Google version but Amazon is mentioned.

Scott

Kindest Regards,

Scott Beckstead

"We cannot defend freedom abroad by abandoning it here at home!"
    Edward R. Murrow

scottbeckstead.com

• I don't want to read a novel on a computer screen! Frankly, I don't want to read ANY document longer than a page on a computer screen.

John Scarborough
    MCDBA, MCSA

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply