Time difference

• How to calculate time difference between up and down rows?

tbl

So, I need to calculate between 15:09:00 and 06:43:00 to get 08:26.

And so on for other rows..

• Look at the Lag function. That should probably work.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/t-sql/functions/lag-transact-sql?view=sql-server-2017

• You should check how to post questions with consumable data before posting a question:

https://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/forum-etiquette-how-to-post-datacode-on-a-forum-to-get-the-best-help

;WITH CTE AS
    (
    SELECT * FROM (VALUES
    (34,1,1003,convert(time,'06:43:00'),convert(date,'01.04.2019'),101),
    (35,1,1003,'15:09:00','01.04.2019',101),
    (50,10,1003,'06:43:00','10.04.2019',101),
    (51,10,1003,'15:08:00','10.04.2019',101)
    ) t(id,dan,pin,Vrjeme,datum,odjel)
    )
    SELECT *,
    DATEADD(mi,DATEDIFF(mi,LAG(Vrjeme) OVER (PARTITION BY datum ORDER BY datum,Vrjeme),Vrjeme),convert(time,'00:00:00')) diff
    FROM CTE

• Unless I'm misreading the given solution, it won't properly calculate the time difference correctly for entries that span a date boundary.

This is one of the many reasons why I rail against the mistake of storing dates and times in separate columns.  It's just not worth it in the long run.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Unless I'm misreading the given solution, it won't properly calculate the time difference correctly for entries that span a date boundary.   This is one of the many reasons why I rail against the mistake of storing dates and times in separate columns.  It's just not worth it in the long run.

Yes, it won't. It was more just a demonstration of how to post consumable data and use the LAG function. The SQL gets a bit long-winded if you start having to do:

convert(datetime,datum)+convert(datetime,Vrjeme)

and have those inside a LAG function and I couldn't work up the effort or enthusiasm to add that to the solution. You're welcome to add it if you feel the urge.

• Ah... sorry, Jonathan... If that came across as me badmouthing your code, it wasn't what was intended, especially since the OP provided no data to suggest that a daily boundary would be crossed.  I really just wanted the OP to know what the limitation was and the sidebar that I consider separate date and time columns to be a serious mistake in most cases.

As you pointed out, it would also be helpful if the OP posted readily consumable data rather than a picture so that none of us would have had to type the data in from a picture.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply