Time out errors when Backup occurs

• I hope someone can shed some light on this. I have a suspicion that the time out errors we get from time to time has to do with the fact that a backup is running at the time. One of our clients is constantly calling in bugs in the system, when in reality, they get errors at the same time as a backup is occurring.

Is there something in the backup process that makes users not ableto gain access to the data at that time? I have always thought you could do backups while the db was live, and not have to shut it down to backup... But we get errors, and attribute them to backups. We reach this because we have seen the same processes work, and when they report errors, we ask about the backup, and sure enough, it was occurring at that precise moment as well.

Anyway, i know its kinda sketchy, but thats what we think and know now. Anyone else have that problem too?

• What version of SQL? Backup was substantially enhanced in 2000. Also, what type of backup?

It is possible with a large query or transaction that a backup could cause a timeout, though I'd doubt it.

Does the query run long at other times?

Steve Jones

sjones@sqlservercentral.com

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones

• the client had 7 and recently has upgraded to 2000. Its just a timed backup of the entire db. Stock backup that comes in scheduler.

I am about to embark on an idea that requires a rather large db accessible over the web, by a myriad of tools. Apps, client apps, server, web pages, etc. I love sql server, but am leary about this backup problem... because we need 100% uptime, as its available via internet.

I would like to use sql server, but have other people leaning to mysql. I worry that when it gets rather large, i'm not going to be as easily able to maintain it... like I can in sql server. Whatcha think?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply