Timeout Expired - Autogrow of file cancelled or timed out

• Hi,

I posted this question in the "Administration" forum, did not get much response. I thought I will post it here.

I am getting the following timeout error - "Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding."

I checked the application event viewer, there is a list of messages from MSSQLSERVER. This is the description - "5144: Autogrow of file 'USL_Log' in database 'USL' cancelled or timed out after 30547 ms. Use ALTER DATABASE to set a smaller FILEGROWTH or to set a new size."

I was getting this error this afternoon. I increased the log file 'file growth' from 10% to 25%. There is more than 30GB of free space. I dont know if that did the trick, but I was able to access the website without any problem. There was no error for next couple of hours. Now it has started again, it is throwing an error 9 out of 10 times. Can any one tell me why is this happening and how to correct this?

I tried to execute a simple user login stored procedure from the query analyzer, it took for ever to complete the execution. It did not complete the execution after 5 mins, I had to stop it.

Thanks.

• They told you "to set a smaller FILEGROWTH "

And what did you do?

Check the disk where you .ldf file placed. Probably there is a problem with free space or it's too fragmented or disk health is not really good.

• Most probable reason is Hard Disk . Can you check if the disk is working fine. If the disk is OK check if there is enough memory available on server.

And Yes for the time being you can decrease the auto Increment of Log file to may be 5%.

Anurag

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply