Timeout expired error

• David,

Very cool!! I love learning neat little tricks like that. Thanks!!!

David

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• I've got a short article posted that discusses UDL's:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/dsnless_1.asp

Andy

• If you are still having problems with EM try creating a ALIAS in the CLIENT NETWORK utility which forces connections to your server over TCPIP. We had this same problem on 1 workstation, and the machine works flawlessly now.

• I know this may be stating the obvious but check the current SQL Errorlog to see if there is a message like:

SuperSocket Info: Bind failed on TCP port 1433.

If so then you need to stop the MSSQLServer service wait 30 seconds and restart the service. Then you should see a message like:

SQL server listening on 172.117.101.76: 1433.

Also you can try mapping a drive on your client computer to your sql server machine.

You may find that suddenly your EM and QA work.

• Change the memory setting to Dynamically configure SQL Server memory on the server

Set the min to say 20MB and similarly Max leaving 20MB.

Try connecting through QA

Mouli

• Hi Steven, it is a great tip, thanks for sharing this with us.

Have a great day 😀

ISC. Ana Laura Mojica

Ana

• Hi All,

I did try creating an alias in the client network utility and then try, but still i have the same problem.

And also, I should talk about my network setup. The server is in a different lan from that of the client. So, drive mapping is not possible.

And I have been able to connect from the client lan to the server lan using the sql authentication. But, after i formated my OS and reinstalled sql server 7, i'm facing this problem.

Some one, kindly help

Cheers

Regards

Parasu Raman

Regards
    Parasu Raman

• Silly question, but your sql server is not set to NT security only instead of mixed mode?

Steven

• Hi Steve,

My sql server is set for a mixed mode authentication. See, I'm able to access from another client machine which is the cient lan. The problem is only with this machine.

Could it be a installation problem?

So, where else could be the problem?

Regards

Parasu Raman

Regards
    Parasu Raman

• A couple things. Verify that you can see the server through networking. Ping, etc.

If you are using SQL authentication, what is the protocol? If tcp/ip, verify the port is the same.

You mention in one post, these are on the same lan and later say they are on different lans?

How are these LANs connected? If a router, is there any firewalling? You can use ODBC ping. Try OSQL with the server name and the IP. Can you ping using the server name or just the IP?

Even if these are on diffent lans, you can map a drive. You can map it using \\ip.ip.ip.ip\c$ or some path.

It sounds like more of a networking issue than a SQL issue.

For Query Analyzer, it will first check for an alias. if one exists, it uses the settings in the alias, otherwise it uses the default settings in the client network utility.

For TCP/IP, the default is port 1433, both server and client. This can be changed, so on the properties for TCP/IP, verify that the port is 1433.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Hi Steve,

The client machine is in one LAN and the server machine is in another LAN. I can ping my clent machine from the server LAN and not the vice-versa.

In this case, I can't access the server from my client is it?

Cheers

Regards

Parasu Raman

Regards
    Parasu Raman

• Hello Parasu,

By your last post it sounds like your client is missing the default gateway. Use ipconfig /all to see your network configuration.

archie

A.S.

MCSE, ASE, DBA

Webmaster

Applications Developer

• Not necessarily. There may need to be routing changes as well in the default gateway.

I can ping my def gateway, but one of my servers is on a another LAN not connected to my default gateway. In this case, I need a route that specifies how I get to that LAN. Also, ping uses ICMPs, which may be blocked somewhere.

I think you need to talk to a network admin and ensure that the networking is configured correctly between the client and server.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Steve, I zeroed in on the gateway because he said he could connect but he reloaded the client and now he can't. Start with the simplest first.

archie

A.S.

MCSE, ASE, DBA

Webmaster

Applications Developer

• I agree with that. Just wanted him to be aware that he may need a network admin.

Not trying to disagree, just trying to add some more info.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply