To create a fix column name for XML

• Hi,

With "FOR XML AUTO", SQL 2005 returns XML with random generated column name (like XML_F2412216-XXX-....). Is there a way to return a fixed column name? Thanks.

Chris

• I believe you only get those if you don't give a column an alias, or if you have duplicate aliases. Make sure that those columns have actual names (or aliases if the name is a duplicate of some other column)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Hi Matt,

Thanks for help. I have something like:

select a

b,

c,....

from tbl1

inner join ....

for XML auto

in my procedure. When I run it, it return:

XML_Frwrw........ --> column name

XML data

If I add "TYPE" at end of AUTO:

................. -> no column name

XML data

How could I make it to have somthing like:

Request ---> column name

XML data

That way front end knows return column name, thanks.

Chris

• Wow. Took me trying this on my end to see whic column you're talking about. Here's one way to do what you're looking for:

Select (

select a,

b,

c,....

from tbl1

inner join ....

for XML auto,TYPE

) as REQUEST

That being said - if you're spitting out XML - your front-ends are probably expecting XML, and not a SQL dataset with an XML column in it. You might care to take a look at these MSDN examples on how to skip the step above....

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms180838.aspx

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Hi Matt,

Yes, that works. Thanks million!

Chris

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply