to partition or not to partition?

• So i have a new server thats going to be our new Database server (win2003 sql2k).

It has 2 130gb drives configured in raid 1 (mirrored) the drives came without any partitions and as i'm aware, if money was no object, i should run the logs on a seperate drive, the OS on a seperate drive and the database files on a seperate drive etc.

Is their any point in partitioning the drive so that i can have the OS on the C: and the data on a d: ?

will this cause a loss in performance?

I'm intending to move the backups, and transaction logs to another server pretty frequently (maybe every 15-30 minutes) so i have a warm backup anyway...

• If you are just talking about making two seperate logical partitions, I don't think it will make a difference since in the end - the two logical drives are on the same physical drive.  Therefore, whether you are writing to C or D, the same physical drive is doing all the work.

Have a good day,

Norene Malaney

• While Norene is correct, there are other good reasons to separate your data files from your OS files, and a separate partition is better than the same partition, although a separate disk (or array) is better yet than a separate partition.

Think about how things like Windows security updates, 3rd party apps, Windows temp files etc. affect disk space allocation. This will mostly only affect you during log writes and growing or autogrow of your databases, but your files will be more contiguous if you keep them on a non-system partition.

Also, if Windows or SQL goes toes up, you can reformat the C: partition for a reinstall without having to recopy your data files to the server once all the software is back in place.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply