Today's Random Word!

• WOTD: busy (haven't checked in a while -- can't believe I missed out on a Holy Grail thread!!!)

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Peter Trast (5/25/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (5/25/2011)

Peter Trast (5/24/2011)

Tornados...

Kansas City is under a watch. I hate when my SQL skills have no bearing on the current problem...

Apparently a lot of states were under watches and warnings last night. Twitter went insane with the comments.

I hope everyone is safe.

Wow. At noon today a tornado touched down a half block from my office building while we huddled in the stairway. 132nd street and Metcalf in Overland Park, KS

http://twitpic.com/52e9zl (someone else's pic and not very good)

I heard the rain stop, then felt the pressure change in my ears and then heard the wind... some of the female employees started to tear up... and I wanted to go outside and watch it!!! Fortunately, good sense won out over curiosity.

It then went on to pass within a mile of my house where my wife and 9 kids were who I could not contact in any manner because the cells were jammed. That was the scary part.

Time to think about that move to Arizona again...

Holy S$%&! I'm glad you're OK.

• sing4you (5/26/2011)

Peter Trast (5/25/2011)

Peter Trast (5/24/2011)

Tornados...

Kansas City is under a watch. I hate when my SQL skills have no bearing on the current problem...

Apparently a lot of states were under watches and warnings last night. Twitter went insane with the comments.

I hope everyone is safe.

Wow. At noon today a tornado touched down a half block from my office building while we huddled in the stairway. 132nd street and Metcalf in Overland Park, KS

I heard the rain stop, then felt the pressure change in my ears and then heard the wind... some of the female employees started to tear up... and I wanted to go outside and watch it!!! Fortunately, good sense won out over curiosity.

It then went on to pass within a mile of my house where my wife and 9 kids were who I could not contact in any manner because the cells were jammed. That was the scary part.

Me too! 🙂 Need SOME excitement out here in "flyover country"!!

Peter Trast
    Microsoft Certified ...(insert many literal strings here)
    Microsoft Design Architect with Alexander Open Systems

• Peter Trast (5/26/2011)

sing4you (5/26/2011)

Peter Trast (5/25/2011)

Peter Trast (5/24/2011)

Tornados...

I hope everyone is safe.

Move to Arizona already!!! I can't even believe the photos we have been seeing of the tornadoes. That's just flat terrifying.

• sing4you (5/26/2011)

Peter Trast (5/26/2011)

sing4you (5/26/2011)

Peter Trast (5/25/2011)

Peter Trast (5/24/2011)

Tornados...

I hope everyone is safe.

Move to Arizona already!!! I can't even believe the photos we have been seeing of the tornadoes. That's just flat terrifying.

Soon as I get the right job offer 😉 I'm not hunting but I am always considering offers... anyone who has been RIF'd would, too...

Peter Trast

• Brandie Tarvin (5/26/2011)

Peter Trast (5/25/2011)

Speaking as someone who grew up in Tornado Alley, what is it with men wanting to tempt fate? If you want to see a tornado, plant a webcam outside and watch it from the safety of the stairwell on your laptop. Don't stand in its path!

At least you had the good sense to stay inside. I know too many people who would have gone outside and gaped at it. @sigh.

Sorry. Rant over. Soapbox going back in the closet.

hmmm - then I shouldn't bring up that as a 20 yr old I ventured out during a cat 4 cyclone to see it. Of course we waited until the eye of the storm.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (5/26/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (5/26/2011)

Peter Trast (5/25/2011)

Speaking as someone who grew up in Tornado Alley, what is it with men wanting to tempt fate? If you want to see a tornado, plant a webcam outside and watch it from the safety of the stairwell on your laptop. Don't stand in its path!

At least you had the good sense to stay inside. I know too many people who would have gone outside and gaped at it. @sigh.

hmmm - then I shouldn't bring up that as a 20 yr old I ventured out during a cat 4 cyclone to see it. Of course we waited until the eye of the storm.

When I lived in MN, when the sirens went off, many folks would run to the windows! Tempting fate I guess. I did drive home when a tornado was headed towards my community. I could see it about 10 miles away. Got home, and dogs and I went into the basement. I'll 'fess up, it was cool to watch, from a safe distance away. A guy videotaped it from a helicopter, crazy!

• bcsims 90437 (5/26/2011)

SQLRNNR (5/26/2011)

Peter Trast (5/25/2011)

When I lived in MN, when the sirens went off, many folks would run to the windows! Tempting fate I guess. I did drive home when a tornado was headed towards my community. I could see it about 10 miles away. Got home, and dogs and I went into the basement. I'll 'fess up, it was cool to watch, from a safe distance away. A guy videotaped it from a helicopter, crazy!

There's just something about the shear power of these things that attracts some people.

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (5/26/2011)

bcsims 90437 (5/26/2011)

SQLRNNR (5/26/2011)

Peter Trast (5/25/2011)

There's just something about the shear power of these things that attracts some people.

Silly me. Here I was looking at the sheer power of these things. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

SQLRNNR (5/26/2011)

bcsims 90437 (5/26/2011)

SQLRNNR (5/26/2011)

Peter Trast (5/25/2011)

LOL

Learn Extended Events

SQLRNNR (5/26/2011)

bcsims 90437 (5/26/2011)

SQLRNNR (5/26/2011)

Peter Trast (5/25/2011)

Wouldn't both shear and sheer be correct? 😀

Peter Trast

• Peter Trast (5/26/2011)

SQLRNNR (5/26/2011)

bcsims 90437 (5/26/2011)

SQLRNNR (5/26/2011)

Peter Trast (5/25/2011)

I thought so 😉 It is at least a little punny isn't it?

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (5/20/2011)

SQLRNNR (5/20/2011)

bcsims 90437 (5/20/2011)

SQLRNNR (5/20/2011)

Passed

Congrats?

yup - more to come

More info

Newest Update

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (5/26/2011)

Peter Trast (5/26/2011)

SQLRNNR (5/26/2011)

bcsims 90437 (5/26/2011)

SQLRNNR (5/26/2011)

Peter Trast (5/25/2011)

I thought so 😉 It is at least a little punny isn't it?

As to "both...be corect": Not really; I guess which is correct depends on which you mean.

Do tornadoes really place a shear stress on things they encounter - that might be a stress like like "the stress that a moving fluid exerts at its boundary", or like "the stress parallel to the fracture surface of a geological fault"? I suspect that tornadoes do. Tornadoes are large moving fluid (air) phenomena, and they exert a lot of shear stress on things that they stream past.

I don't think "sheer" has anything even slightly like the same meaning as "shear", neither can "shear" carry any on the ordinary meanings of "sheer".

At leat a little punny? Yes, definitely punny, but I've no idea what's little about it.

Why don't we have an emoticon to indictae "boring pedant mood"? I feel I need one just now.

Tom

• WOTD: three day weekend! (Well, here in the States, anyway!)

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 4,441 through 4,455 (of 21,190 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply