• Revenant (12/7/2011)

SQLRNNR (12/7/2011)

Ninja's_RGR'us (12/7/2011)

SQLRNNR (12/7/2011)

bcsims 90437 (12/7/2011)

Ninja's_RGR'us (12/7/2011)

SQLRNNR (12/7/2011)

mutiny

How can you do that when you're the boss???

Multiple personalities?

understatement

says who?

Legion

Foreign?

March or Die - Great Foreign Legion film with Gene Hackman...

• SELECT DATEDIFF(dd,GetDate(),'12/25/11') AS DaysTillChristmas

• Horse-hockey (R.I.P. Harry Morgan)

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Daniel Bowlin (12/7/2011)

SELECT DATEDIFF(dd,GetDate(),'12/25/11') AS DaysTillChristmas

Just to over-complicate matters . . . 😀

SELECT CASE WHEN GETDATE() > DATEADD(d, 24, DATEADD(m, 11, DATEADD(yy, DATEDIFF(yy, 0, GETDATE()), 0)))

THEN DATEDIFF(dd,GETDATE(),DATEADD(d, 24, DATEADD(m, 11, DATEADD(yy, DATEDIFF(yy, 0, GETDATE()) + 1, 0))))

WHEN GETDATE() < DATEADD(d, 24, DATEADD(m, 11, DATEADD(yy, DATEDIFF(yy, 0, GETDATE()), 0)))

THEN DATEDIFF(dd,GETDATE(),DATEADD(d, 24, DATEADD(m, 11, DATEADD(yy, DATEDIFF(yy, 0, GETDATE()), 0))))

ELSE 0 END AS DaysTillChristmas

Forever trying to learn
    My blog - http://www.cadavre.co.uk/
    For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
    For better, quicker answers on SQL Server performance related questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• Cadavre (12/8/2011)

Daniel Bowlin (12/7/2011)

SELECT CASE WHEN GETDATE() > DATEADD(d, 24, DATEADD(m, 11, DATEADD(yy, DATEDIFF(yy, 0, GETDATE()), 0)))

THEN DATEDIFF(dd,GETDATE(),DATEADD(d, 24, DATEADD(m, 11, DATEADD(yy, DATEDIFF(yy, 0, GETDATE()) + 1, 0))))

WHEN GETDATE() < DATEADD(d, 24, DATEADD(m, 11, DATEADD(yy, DATEDIFF(yy, 0, GETDATE()), 0)))

THEN DATEDIFF(dd,GETDATE(),DATEADD(d, 24, DATEADD(m, 11, DATEADD(yy, DATEDIFF(yy, 0, GETDATE()), 0))))

Sometimes I wonder if I spend too much time on these forums......:-P

• Daniel Bowlin (12/8/2011)

Cadavre (12/8/2011)

Just asking the question is answering it :hehe:.

• Daniel Bowlin (12/8/2011)

Cadavre (12/8/2011)

Obviously not enough. You didn't notice the bug in that code 😀 - on Christmas morning it only gives the correct (0) answer for the couple of milliseconds, and then it says 366 for teh rest of the day.

This would be better:SELECT CASE WHEN cast(GETDATE() as DATE) > DATEADD(d, 24, DATEADD(m, 11, DATEADD(yy, DATEDIFF(yy, 0, cast(GETDATE() as DATE)), 0)))

THEN DATEDIFF(dd,cast(GETDATE() as DATE),DATEADD(d, 24, DATEADD(m, 11, DATEADD(yy, DATEDIFF(yy, 0, cast(GETDATE() as DATE)) + 1, 0))))

WHEN cast(GETDATE() as DATE) < DATEADD(d, 24, DATEADD(m, 11, DATEADD(yy, DATEDIFF(yy, 0, cast(GETDATE() as DATE)), 0)))

THEN DATEDIFF(dd,cast(GETDATE() as DATE),DATEADD(d, 24, DATEADD(m, 11, DATEADD(yy, DATEDIFF(yy, 0, cast(GETDATE() as DATE)), 0))))

ELSE 0 END AS DaysTillChristmas[/quote]

<Pedantic nonsense>Anyway, don't you mean "fora"? "forums" isn't a word.</Pedantic nonsense> :w00t:

Tom

• L' Eomot Inversé (12/8/2011)

Obviously not enough. You didn't notice the bug in that code 😀 - on Christmas morning it only gives the correct (0) answer for the couple of milliseconds, and then it says 366 for teh rest of the day.

This would be better:SELECT CASE WHEN cast(GETDATE() as DATE) > DATEADD(d, 24, DATEADD(m, 11, DATEADD(yy, DATEDIFF(yy, 0, cast(GETDATE() as DATE)), 0)))

THEN DATEDIFF(dd,cast(GETDATE() as DATE),DATEADD(d, 24, DATEADD(m, 11, DATEADD(yy, DATEDIFF(yy, 0, cast(GETDATE() as DATE)) + 1, 0))))

WHEN cast(GETDATE() as DATE) < DATEADD(d, 24, DATEADD(m, 11, DATEADD(yy, DATEDIFF(yy, 0, cast(GETDATE() as DATE)), 0)))

THEN DATEDIFF(dd,cast(GETDATE() as DATE),DATEADD(d, 24, DATEADD(m, 11, DATEADD(yy, DATEDIFF(yy, 0, cast(GETDATE() as DATE)), 0))))

<Pedantic nonsense>Anyway, don't you mean "fora"? "forums" isn't a word.</Pedantic nonsense> :w00t:

Boo, missed that 😛

Here's my fixed version: -

SELECT CASE WHEN GETDATE() > DATEADD(d, 25, DATEADD(m, 11, DATEADD(yy, DATEDIFF(yy, 0, GETDATE()), 0)))

WHEN GETDATE() < DATEADD(d, 25, DATEADD(m, 11, DATEADD(yy, DATEDIFF(yy, 0, GETDATE()), 0)))

Forever trying to learn
    For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
    For better, quicker answers on SQL Server performance related questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• WOTD - Gnu

• Cadavre (12/8/2011)

L' Eomot Inversé (12/8/2011)

Boo, missed that 😛

SELECT CASE WHEN GETDATE() > DATEADD(d, 25, DATEADD(m, 11, DATEADD(yy, DATEDIFF(yy, 0, GETDATE()), 0)))

WHEN GETDATE() < DATEADD(d, 25, DATEADD(m, 11, DATEADD(yy, DATEDIFF(yy, 0, GETDATE()), 0)))

Yay. Now I know for sure that there are only 17 days until Christmas.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• crookj (12/8/2011)

WOTD - Gnu

Gnu News

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (12/8/2011)

And knowing is half the battle.

/@

\ ___> (__O) (____@) (____@) (__o)_ \

Forever trying to learn

• Cadavre (12/8/2011)

SQLRNNR (12/8/2011)

And knowing is half the battle.

time

/@

\ ___> (__O) (____@) (____@) (__o)_ \

Ok, I like it - but somebody has a lot of time on their hand.

Learn Extended Events

• Cadavre (12/8/2011)

Boo, missed that 😛

<code snipped>

Drat, I missed out 6 casts ("0" changed to "cast(cast 0 as datetime) as date)" in three places! :blush: I was planning to wait for you (or anyone) to come up with the 24 -> 25 solution and then I could make a pedantic claim that one should use DATE not DATETIME to do date comparisons, but when it came to it I noticed that in fact I was still using datetime mostly. I can't even get the pedantry right when I'm trying to clown with it. Where's the face-palm icon?

Tom

• L' Eomot Inversé (12/8/2011)

Cadavre (12/8/2011)

Boo, missed that 😛

<code snipped>

Drat, I missed out 6 casts ("0" changed to "cast(cast 0 as datetime) as date)" in three places! :blush: I was planning to wait for you (or anyone) to come up with the 24 -> 25 solution and then I could make a pedantic claim that one should use DATE not DATETIME to do date comparisons, but when it came to it I noticed that in fact I was still using datetime mostly. I can't even get the pedantry right when I'm trying to clown with it. Where's the face-palm icon?

Fits well with your new Avatar.

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 5,551 through 5,565 (of 21,190 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply