Tools You Need

• Another vote for DB Ghost!

Where I work, DB Ghost is the most useful tool that we use on a regular basis, as we use it to check our source code in our continuous build process.  It was a difficult concept to get at first but a light suddenly came on…

The only downside is that we would prefer per user licensing as we all have desktop and laptop machines – DB Ghost is a per machine license. 

However, we can’t live without it as SQL changes are so easy to manage now.

• From a development management perspective....

DBGhost: Essential product which helps us to (among other things)

1) cut out all the wasted round-trip time between DBAs and developers when developers pass on bad sql, partial code (without dependencies, etc) to the DBA.  Now developers should never pass anything that doesn't build properly to a DBA.  The quality may still not be to a DBA's liking but that's a training issue that no tool will resolve.

2) allow the development team to have much more control over the complete product by being able to incorporate the database build into the automated code build.  Now there is no excuse for the database code being out of sync with the rest of the product.  The flexibility of the product means that you can easily make it a key part of the process - for too long now database development has been 'special' and handled 'outside' of the standard process

3) make database comparison and merging a simple process.  We are about to embark on a major upgrade task and can be confident that DBGhost will make it much easier

SQL Prompt: Very handy SQL editing helper (although it does have some usability annoyances) which speeds up development time and ensures (if you select from the intellisence list) consistent use of upper and lower case

Missing tool: Something to help us integrate with Sourcesafe and Visual Studio (our established development tools).  We are about to look into using Visual Studio database projects but will now reflect on that and look into some of the tools mentioned in your list.  We want to be able to edit our code and sql from the same UI (Visual Studio) so any experienced-based help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Echoing previous comments on DB Ghost - http://www.dbghost.com/home.aspx - a real time-saver!

• We had climbed into bed with Quest (a bed we're getting out of now) and I tried Toad. What a horrifying experience that was. I can't believe anyone actually uses that tool and is still productive.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Integrate Sourcesafe & VS?  They're already integrated.  If you're in VS, you can add projects directly to Sourcesafe or open projects (and check them out) directly from Sourcesafe without an additional tool.

If you're having problems with this, you might consider verifying you have compatible versions.  Visual Studio 2005 as well as Sourcesafe 2005, for instance.  Sourcesafe version 6 doesn't get along too well with VS 2k5, I've been told.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• That's interesting....we are using Sourcesafe 6 and have numerous problems with VS 2k3 especially after branching code so thanks for your suggestion - I will look into that further.

However, I was talking specifically about database changes.  We don't use database projects and therefore don't edit TSQL in Visual Studio.  We're looking for an effective interface between VSS, VS and SQL Server which allows you to check out files, edit them, apply changes to SQL Server and then check in changes.

• If you look under Tools -> Options in SSMS, you'll see an item called Source Control.  If you set it to Visual SourceSafe, you can create (inside SSMS) projects that are not database projects and then check them in and out of VSS without having to go through Visual Studio.

Conversely, you could do Database projects through Visual Studio and check them in and out.  I'm pretty sure you can also open a project you created in SSMS (and then checked into VSS) from Visual Studio.  I haven't tested that part of it yet, though. 

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• In my previous place.

RedGate SQL Compare and Data Compare top of the list.

Currently Toad for SQL and Oracle. Sucks for both... so I am getting myself SQL Compare :o)

Also looking for a good SSIS compare tool.

Any recommendations... beside ApexSQL SSIS Compare. BTW anybody using it and would like to share some experience.

Thanks,

~Leon

• Leon Orlov (6/11/2009)

In my previous place.

RedGate SQL Compare and Data Compare top of the list.

Currently Toad for SQL and Oracle. Sucks for both... so I am getting myself SQL Compare :o)

Also looking for a good SSIS compare tool.

Any recommendations... beside ApexSQL SSIS Compare. BTW anybody using it and would like to share some experience.

Thanks,

~Leon

Haven't used that one, but I've used most of the rest of the Apex tools, and they've all been quite good.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply