Tracking Row Changes

• Hello All:

I have a dilemma where certain users are telling me that over night there changes disappear. This is a fairly small local database with a low number of users. I am not getting complaints from all of the users and it doesn't "seem" to be happening for everyone. The app is distributed as an access adp.

I find this a little bizarre. First off, is there any way the row/record updates can be lost overnight??? I'm running a backup every night at 1AM....could this have anything to do with it?

When does a row save after editing? Is it immediate?

Most of all, I'm just wondering if there is any good way of showing the users the exact changes they made through a transaction log etc?

I just want to get to the bottom of this so I can continue working on other projects. I know it's wacky and probably the users. This morning they told the changes I looked for were there b/c they re-input them this morning?!?!?!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,Cleech

• The only scenario I imagine is like so :

You would have a user start editing a record then goes home (the changes are not saved to the server untill the user hits a save button or change records or closes the form and or application). You start the backup (and kick everybody out in the process). He then has to restart the adp the next morning and there his change are "lost".

If you want to keep track of the changes on the server, you'll have to create a trigger on the table(s) that is causing a problem to audit the change to an history table. That would be a good start to see what is going on with the ghosts records.

• You can also set up a trace to monitor this.

See if this helps http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsqlmag01/html/TrackingDownEventClues.asp

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Webmaster: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs
    My blog: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs/frankkalis/[/url]

• someone posted a similar issue where orders off of their web site were being lost....a table was scanned by a process looking for orders every five minutes or so, and then when they looked again, the order was gone...the problem they had was they were allowing dirty reads with the NOLOCK statement in their select. but the order wasn't "official" till the credit card was processed, so if the user started an order, but didn't finish, the old process was finding those dirty reads before the transaction rolled back.

just another idea besides the 99%coverage  everyone else already helped with above.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• I don't think you can cover 100% in this case.. there's always be something else that can screw up.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply