Tracking server changes

• What can i use to track changes made st server level

• Server wide DDL triggers, traces, extended events etc etc.

Depends what you want to track.

Please elaborate furthre for a more consise answer.

• wanox (7/19/2012)

What can i use to track changes made st server level

Yes, please provide more info. Which version are you using? If you are using 2008 for any DML changes, you can use CDC(change data capture). This is a new feature that came with 2008 which can be replaced with DML triggers.

Regards,

TA.

Regards,
    SQLisAwe5oMe.

• Basic SQL Server auditing provided by default trace provides information such as when an object was altered/created/deleted can prove very useful and is already in place on every SQL Server instance ( assuming that you have not disabled it explicitly).

Following are the events captured by SQL Server default auditing trace that keeps running in the background:

Database: Data File Auto Grow

Database: Data File Auto Shrink

Database: Database Mirroring State Change

Database: Log File Auto Grow

Database: Log File Auto Shrink

Errors and Warnings: ErrorLog

Errors and Warnings: Hash Warning

Errors and Warnings: Missing Column Statistics

Errors and Warnings: Missing Join Predicate

Errors and Warnings: Sort Warnings

Full text: FT:Crawl Aborted

Full text: FT:Crawl Started

Full text: FT:Crawl Stopped

Objects: Object:Altered

Objects: Object:Created

Objects: Object:Deleted

Security Audit: Audit Add DB User Event

Security Audit: Audit Add Login to Server Role Event

Security Audit: Audit Add Member to DB Role Event

Security Audit: Audit Add Role Event

Security Audit: Audit Addlogin Event

Security Audit: Audit Backup/Restore Event

Security Audit: Audit Change Audit Event

Security Audit: Audit Change Database Owner

Security Audit: Audit Database Scope GDR Event

Security Audit: Audit DBCC Event

Security Audit: Audit Login Change Property Event

Security Audit: Audit Login Failed

Security Audit: Audit Login GDR Event

Security Audit: Audit Schema Object GDR Event

Security Audit: Audit Schema Object Take Ownership Event

Security Audit: Audit Server Alter Trace Event

Security Audit: Audit Server Starts And Stops

Server: Server Memory Change

The information mentioned above has been based on the following URLs \ References:

http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/performance/the-default-trace-in-sql-server---the-power-of-performance-and-security-auditing/

http://blogs.technet.com/b/fort_sql/archive/2009/10/29/sql-server-2005-list-of-events-captured-by-the-default-trace.aspx

• wanox (7/19/2012)

What can i use to track changes made st server level

Do you mean, 'server' as in the physical server? as in platform including O/S? as in platform including O/S and RDBMS?

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • I want to audit the changes made on our servers by those with administrative rights in our group. This includes both the SQL and Windows environments. Need to know who changed something (create, delete, modify...ect), when did this change occur and what changed.

• If you want to see the database changes then you can set a trace for the users having admin rights.

Following are the ones you need to understand and use to set the trace.

sp_trace_create

sp_trace_setevet

sp_trace_filter

sp_trace_setstatus

• Can traces also be used to monitor the windows environment?

• As per my current understanding you cannot use profiler or SQL server side trace ( that is what the earlier post was suggesting) to monitor windows related events.

Further a server side trace ( unless it is very lightweight) is very taxing on the server and hence is used only sparingly for the purpose of troubleshooting.

Monitoring windows is totally a different cup of tea and probably out of discussion scope in this forum but then you could get very some basic information from the eventviewer logs.

SQL Server 2008 / R2 did introduce new DMVs that exposed a lot of useful operating system related information information but that may not be exactly what you are looking for.

Nevertheless I am listing the URL to excellent performance troubleshooting queries from Glenn Berry.

Glenn is simply the best when it comes to performance troubleshooting queries and i doubt if there a better consolidated list available anywhere else:

http://sqlserverperformance.wordpress.com/

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13748067/SQL%20Server%202008%20Diagnostic%20Information%20Queries%20(July%202012).sql

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply