Training & Certification

• I am an Oracle DBA, and I need to get up to speed on SQL Server. Does anyone have any recommendations or tales of woe? A reasonably priced course in a sunny location, with surfing and golf onsite would be favourite...

Thanks,

• Im an SQL  administrator, and weve just purchased an application that runs on Oracle - so I need to get up to speed on Oracle. You have any recommendations or tales of woe?

• It depends largely on you existing knowledge levels, and the degree of expertise to which you aspire. In general, it is advisable to stick closely to the topics that you will use immediately: the theoretical stuff vanishes into the ether if not consolidated. I would advise that, if attending an Oracle course in London, try to avoid the ones hosted at Spring in Finsbury Circus.

• Keith

I'm a certified Oracle DBA as well, that has been working in SQL Server for the past three years.  It took a couple of months to get up to speed on SQL Server but it was a transition well worth it.  I didn't attend any courses, just picked up a couple of books.  If you know your basic DBA prociples, then you should be fine. 

The books I used where SQL Server 2000 administrator's guide by microsoft and SQL Server programming professional by Wrox.  SQL Server has been good.  I would suggest you really get into DTS as it makes a lot of things easier.  SQL is SQL with little difference between them.  PL/SQL is a thing of the past, but the DTS can do just as much if not more. 

Truth be told, I prefer SQL Server over Oracle.  Hope this helps.

Marvin

Marvin Dillard
    Senior Consultant
    Claraview Inc

• I'd like to see the answer to that as well.  We're going to purchase a large system for Medical Records that uses both Microsoft and Oracle servers.  I can handle the Microsoft part, but know nothing about Oracle. 

Any suggestions for training a.s.a.p?

So long, and thanks for all the fish,

Russell Shilling, MCDBA, MCSA 2K3, MCSE 2K3

• Books that I think should be on any SQL Server DBAs shelf, both by Microsoft Press:

Inside SQL Server 2000, by Kalen Delaney

Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Administrator's Companion, by Garcia/Reding/Whalen/DeLuca

You can find both on half.com for $5-10, they have a CD with a copy of the book along with various white papers.  Said CD is not copy-protected, so copy it to your drive and install from there.

I cannot recommend these books too highly, they're great references.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• Use SQL Server 2000 in 21 days from SAMS and practice it on MSDE that will clear all basic things about SQL Server.

Give a try to books online too.

The best thing about microsoft technology is that lot of references and help can be found online. It should be pretty straight forward if you spend an hour every day learning i am sure you will be able to manage medium size production database in very short time.

Kindest Regards,

Syed
    Sr. SQL Server DBA

• Hi Russell,

I am currently working in bombay, & wish to get MCDBA certified soon. What would you advise people who do this & then look for MCSE; is it possible to mix the courses, ie. does a substitute work for a future MCSE? how much study time would you recommend... I am planning to use self-study & some books like SQL server 2000 unleashed. Also, the free downloadable guides from MS site will also help.

pls guide me

Kindest Regards,

Amarjeet Shan

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply