Trans log question

• I ran a number of DTS text imports (large files) on my home system. Later I wanted to move the database to another server so I detached it but received an error saying that the trans log was full. I checked -- the trans log is set to autogrow, I had 20GB free on drive C (FAT32), and the trans log was about 3.8GB in size. How could it be full?

TIA,

Bill

• I believe that growth is a logged event and if the log is full, then you need to clear space before it can grow. Running a "backup transaction with no_log" will get you space. Then run a full backup before you do anything.

• A growth event is not logged, it used to be that way in SQL 6.5. You can sometimes get this error when your process is moving faster than your disks as they allocate new space. You might look into increasing the growth increment of your tran log, this can be true in the tempdb as well if you are doing some heavy lifting (querying/thinking)

As Steve said, doing the no_log will truncate all inactive transactions in the log, you can then run dbcc shrinkfile on the log to decrease the footprint. If you do not require point in time recovery on this db, I reccomend setting it to simple recov mode.

HTH

------------

Ray Higdon MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply