Transaction Isolation Levels

• The default transaction isolation level for SQL 2000 is READ COMMITTED.

This can be changed on a user session by SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL ...

Does anyone know of a way to change the default for all sessions? Is there a database wide option that I can set?

Many thanks,

Sara

• Sara - here's something from BOL...you change the isolation level and confirm with dbcc useroption....

USE pubs

GO

SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL REPEATABLE READ

GO

DBCC USEROPTIONS

GO

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• Thanks Sushila!

BUT - that works only for the individual session.

I'm looking to change it for the entire database, so that anyone who opens a session, whether in QA or through an application that comes in to view data, the session should automatically be read uncommitted.

Sara

• Sara..quoting from BOL again - "remains in effect until the session terminates, or until the isolation level is set to another level..." - haven't implemented this or tested anytime so cannot speak from personal knowledge...

did you already test via different sessions after overriding the default with "set transaction isolation level" ????

maybe I should get noel to answer this - he is the only one I know who seems to know everything!

• It gets set only for the individual setting.

Let's see what Noel has to say. He does seem to know it all!

• 'kay...I sent the great man this link...so hopefully you'll get your answer soon...

• OK I got the link

Transaction Isolation level is a property of the Connection not of the Server or the Database. You can not force this at server or Database level  and the default is always read commited You can control this on the Application using either a centralized Connection scheme or with COM+ using then the Management console to specify the connection default isolation level

HTH

: I know enough to say that I don't know everything

* Noel

• Noel - for my part I'm content with knowing that I know almost nothing about anything - but what I DO know is a single source that can provide ALL THE ANSWERS!

Totally awesome!

• Thanks.

It would have been so much easier if such a database setting existed. Too bad.

Sara

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply