Transaction Log

• Again, all we are stating is that the advice you provided was wrong. Your code used depreciated features that may not work in future versions of SQL Server.

think about solution

I hate to say this, but all those certifications won't mean a thing if no one can trust the advice you provide. What is more important to you the certifications or giving good and accurate advice?

there is no any list in these certification,you better knows if you have any 1,I didnt say anything about my Certifications,you people should grow up and be practical and not just as book says

Here is some advice, start learning more about one SQL Server. Take the code you suggested in this thread and figure out how you would do the same thing using the DMVs in SQL Server 2005/2008. Start updating your skills to newer version.

These certifications did'nt cover developer code NOTE It that is DBA Track

Regards,
    Syed Jahanzaib Bin Hassan
    BSCS | MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog
    www.aureus-salah.com

• Syed Jahanzaib Bin hassan (7/4/2011)

Here is some advice, start learning more about one SQL Server. Take the code you suggested in this thread and figure out how you would do the same thing using the DMVs in SQL Server 2005/2008. Start updating your skills to newer version.

I beg to differ. The DBA exams do cover the DMVs, especially the session-related ones. Hence if you passed that exams you should know these DMVs.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-432&locale=en-us#tab2

Monitoring and Troubleshooting SQL Server (13 percent)

*Identify SQL Server service problems.

This objective may include but is not limited to: DB Engine service; SQL Agent service; SQL Browser service

*Identify concurrency problems.

This objective may include but is not limited to: blocks, locks, deadlocks, activity monitor; relevant Dynamic Management Views

*Identify SQL Agent job execution problems.

This objective may include but is not limited to: proxy accounts; credentials; job history

*Locate error information.

This objective may include but is not limited to: error log; agent log; job execution history; event logs

Optimizing SQL Server Performance (10 percent)

* Implement Resource Governor.

* Use the Database Engine Tuning Advisor.

* Collect trace data by using SQL Server Profiler.

* Collect performance data by using Dynamic Management Views (DMVs).

* Collect performance data by using System Monitor.

* Use Performance Studio.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-450&locale=en-us#tab2

* Design a monitoring solution at the operating system level

o This objective may include but is not limited to: system monitor counters, event logs, dynamic management views and functions, Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), remote monitoring, analyze results

* Design a monitoring solution at the instance level

o This objective may include but is not limited to: instance, database and object monitoring, data collection, event notifications, dynamic management objects, analyze results

* Design a solution to monitor performance and concurrency

o This objective may include but is not limited to: Dedicated Administrator Connection (DAC), locking, blocking, deadlocks, dynamic management objects, index utilization, tracing, analyze

Those are the two exams for the MCITP Database Admin cert for SQL 2008.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (7/4/2011)

The DBA exams do cover the DMVs, especially the session-related ones. Hence if you passed that exam you should know these DMVs.

The same thought occurred to me instantly upon reading this thread

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Again, all we are stating is that the advice you provided was wrong. Your code used depreciated features that may not work in future versions of SQL Server.

think about solution

Thought about your solution. Bad advice to use depreciated features in SQL Server 2005 when the newer DMVs are available and provide more and better information.

I hate to say this, but all those certifications won't mean a thing if no one can trust the advice you provide. What is more important to you the certifications or giving good and accurate advice?

there is no any list in these certification,you better knows if you have any 1,I didn't say anything about my Certifications,you people should grow up and be practical and not just as book says

Others have shown that the DMVs are covered in the certifications for MS SQL Server 2005/2008. And you do say something about your certifications in every one of your posts:

Regards,

I currently do not have any MS SQL Server certifications (though I have earned both BS and MA degrees), and I don't think I need them except to pursue an advanced certification like MCM SQL Server. I have learned what I know through the best school there is, the school of experience. I have been working with MS SQL Server for over 12 years. I take time to learn from others instead of criticizing their responses to my posts. If you take the time you will learn much from the people on SSC.

I think others covered this one already.

Now, regarding this question that I asked:

What is more important to you the certifications or giving good and accurate advice?

The fact that you didn't answer it, speaks louder than if you had.

• @Gail - Excellent and concise reply..

• I beg to differ. The DBA exams do cover the DMVs, especially the session-related ones. Hence if you passed that exams you should know these DMVs.

SELECT ST.TEXT,SP.SPID,WAITTIME,LASTWAITTYPE,CPU,PHYSICAL_IO,STATUS,HOSTNAME,PROGRAM_NAME,CMD,LOGINAME FROM SYS.SYSPROCESSES SP

CROSS APPLY SYS.DM_EXEC_SQL_TEXT(SP.SQL_HANDLE) ST

WHERE STATUS ='SLEEPING'

ORDER BY CPU DESC

this is not DMV in bold? I think you people emphasis on features and I emphasis on solution,I just used the old object sys.sysprocesses and now solution is bad,no one emphasis on solution what is the result of this query

I currently do not have any MS SQL Server certifications (though I have earned both BS and MA degrees), and I don't think I need them except to pursue an advanced certification like MCM SQL Server. I have learned what I know through the best school there is, the school of experience. I have been working with MS SQL Server for over 12 years. I take time to learn from others instead of criticizing their responses to my posts. If you take the time you will learn much from the people on SSC.

Is there any one asked about your qualification or you are trying to advertise it,MA in what ? BS in what ?

What is more important to you the certifications or giving good and accurate advice?

My answered was correct but using old system object ,all are important experience,correct solution and certification also, if certification is not important then why major companies invest on these certification like Microsoft,Oracle,Oracle Sun ,IBM,HP,Dell etc,are they fool and they dont know about these things

Regards,

My Blog
    www.aureus-salah.com

Is there any one asked about your qualification or you are trying to advertise it,MA in what ? BS in what ?

If it matters, BS in Computer Science and Business Administration (double major) and Master of Arts in Computer Information Resource Management and Space Systems Management (double major). I also have over 30 years IT experience. Guess which I rely on more, and it isn't my degrees.

My answered was correct but using old system object ,all are important experience,correct solution and certification also, if certification is not important then why major companies invest on these certification like Microsoft,Oracle,Oracle Sun ,IBM,HP,Dell etc,are they fool and they dont know about these things

You really didn't understand the question, did you. I asked which is more important to YOU, your certifications or giving good and accurate advice. Very simple question.

The certifications developed by the vendors are important to them. They are meant to provide employers that candidates are knowledgeable about their products. The problem is that there are those who think by getting those certifications that they are more knowledgeable than others. I happen to have worked with a paper MCDBA. He may have passed the all the required tests to earn that certification, but it didn't mean he know how to apply that knowledge or to grow with product.

After earning these basic certifications, the next step is to continue learning those products, develop a deeper understanding of how the product works and to learn ways to make the products work better and more reliably. This means being willing to learn from others and accept that things you once knew may not be the best way to do things. Trust me, there is code out there that I wrote years ago that I'm sure I would write differently today because of the experience I have had with SQL Server since then and the knowledge I have learned from many people here on SSC.

The problem I see with you is that you are unwilling to accept the constructive criticism from these people and instead attack them as unprofessional. Please, take a closer look at your own responses to what has been said. No one here is attacking you, just your messages. Look at them, learn from them, adapt and become better.

The advice you give needs to correct and accurate. You don't need certifications to backup what you say as much as you need credibility. You get that from having others affirm what you provide and perhaps learn more when they show you different and possibly better ways to achieve the same objective.

SYS.DM_EXEC_SQL_TEXT

this is not DMV in bold?

Now you're just being pedantic. No, it's a function. The DMV suite is made up of views and functions. Stop trying to be clever, you're not doing yourself any favours 😉

As detailed in the following link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187997.aspx, sysprocesses maps to the following views and functions.

sys.dm_exec_connections

sys.dm_exec_sessions

sys.dm_exec_requests

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Now you're just being pedantic. No, it's a function. The DMV suite is made up of views and functions. Stop trying to be clever, you're not doing yourself any favours

that is not a DMF or DMV or we can say DMO ? now tell me,is it or not ? you already said DMV suite is made up of views and functions,what are you trying to clarify ? "No, it's a function" what does it mean,yes its a fucntion but dynamic function,is it not ? you should correct yourself DMO suite,DMV and DMF are DMOs ,for further usage we use these terms DMV or DMF

that is dynamic management object or function

Regards,

My Blog
    www.aureus-salah.com

• May I kindly ask to stop the discussion at that point?

I don't see any new (question related) information added since several posts.

Let's just agree to disagree and move on.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• LutzM (7/5/2011)

May I kindly ask to stop the discussion at that point?

I second that.

Come on guys leave it 🙂

Muthukkumaran Kaliyamoorthy
    https://www.sqlserverblogforum.com/

• Edit: Blah

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

there is no any list in these certification,you better knows if you have any 1,I didnt say anything about my Certifications,you people should grow up and be practical and not just as book says

Hmmm. Odd I am in the middle of both cert tracks. Just finished the DBA Track where DMVs are a definite theme. And am about to complete the dev MCITP. For the Dev MCTS exam - I had questions concerning the DMVs. And though it does not explicitly state DMVs in the "Designing Queries for Performance" section of the skills measured, I can guarantee that section covers DMVs.

I also think this thread has gone sideways enough. Let it be understood that the people responding here care about correct information. If you are wrong - you will likely be corrected. As most of us have learned over time - we are wrong from time to time. When we are wrong, we need to be able to take correction and accept that we were wrong. Learn from it and become a better DBA.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• LutzM (7/5/2011)

May I kindly ask to stop the discussion at that point?

Crud, should have read to the end before posting my last reply. D'OH

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• My apologies for the delays in responding. This has gotten a little out of hand, and it's become an argument on advice rather than an answer to a question. I am closing this thread down.

Please move this debate to the "Anything Not About SQL" if you would like to continue a debate on advice that is appropriate or not.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply