Transaction log backup

• I created a job in Enterprise Manager to back up both my databases and transaction logs. However, I am getting a failure for certain databases when backing up the transaction log. If the physical log file name does not have _log in the file name, it fails. My master database does not have this naming convention and therefore I am not able to back up the transaction log. Any ideas?

• That's strange. I'll have to give that a try, but I wouldn't expect that to be the problem.

• At the risk of insulting you all with this suggestion, have you verified that the databases for which you are getting the failures have an appropriate recovery model selected?

I attempted to duplicate the conditions that you are describing, and as long as I have the appropriate recovery model selected I cannot get the transaction log backup to fail.

• No insult taken and that appears to be the issue. The recovery model was set to simple for those databases where the transaction log backup was failing. I am guessing that if I change the recovery model to full, I should be good to go. Chalk that one up to me being a novice administrator. Thanks.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply