Transaction Log Backup Error

• hi,

i have a maintenance plan that backs up the transaction log for a database every 15 mins. it has worked well since i set it up abt 2 weeks ago, it failed during the day yesterday and has not run since then.

the maintenace plan shows as successful, but the job shows as failed with this error message

Executed as user: TRLADMIN\SYSTEM. Microsoft (R) SQL Server Execute Package Utility Version 9.00.3042.00 for 64-bit Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1984-2005. All rights reserved. Started: 15:00:00 Progress: 2008-05-08 15:00:01.37 Source: {978EAAE1-2384-497B-AF21-131ABE619555} Executing query "DECLARE @GUID UNIQUEIDENTIFIER EXECUTE msdb..sp".: 100% complete End Progress DTExec: The package execution returned DTSER_FAILURE (1). Started: 15:00:00 Finished: 15:00:01 Elapsed: 0.672 seconds. The package execution failed. The step failed.

any ideas why this happened and how i can fix it?

Cheers,

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All it takes, is a step in the right direction, your feet will manage to find the way. I didn't say it'll be easy!!![font="Comic Sans MS"]:cool:[/font]

• could you check or post the log file of the maintenance plan this would help with finding the error.

• by the log, i assume you mean the maintenance plan report.

here is the content of the report:

NEW COMPONENT OUTPUT

Microsoft(R) Server Maintenance Utility (Unicode) Version 9.0.3054

Report was generated on "APSSQL".

Maintenance Plan: MaintenancePlan2

Duration: 00:00:00

Details:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All it takes, is a step in the right direction, your feet will manage to find the way. I didn't say it'll be easy!!![font="Comic Sans MS"]:cool:[/font]

• There should be more details in a text file. Check the maintenance plans for logging and the location.

• or/and turn on the detailed logging if this allready is supposed to be your maintenance plan logfile

• All I can say is SQL Server is f'ing retarded. It just shouldn't be this hard to find and/or decipher this error. Retarded I say.

• Open up the maintenance folder in Object Explorer, right-click on the Maintenance Plan and View History. In the log viewer - you can then open up the job and see each individual task for that maintenance plan.

Find the task that failed (if any) and see what information you have available there. Most likely, one of the tasks failed, but you have set the constraint to Completion instead of Success. That would allow the next task to still run, showing successful completion but also registering the job as failing.

Jeff

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply