Transaction Log Backup to one file or many files with unique filenames?

• Hi,

Based on what I've seen in the SSMS's Backup screen, Full and Log backups go into the same file (e.g. adventureworks2008R2.bak) as a 'set'.

If someone was asked me create each log file backups with a unique name (eg dbname + datetimestamp) would this break my ability to restore?

Thanks.

• I still do not understand why MS has set that as the default option - it is not the recommended method for backing up the system.

The recommended method is to use individual date stamped files for each backup. That can be setup and configured by selecting the option:

Create a backup file for each database and optionally selecting the check box to create a sub-directory for each database.

This option will create a new file every time in the specified folder. When you setup your transaction log backups, you would select the same folder and same options and that would put all related files in the same folder.

Then, you would add a maintenance cleanup task to the full backup plan to cleanup old backup files.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Thank you very much Jeffrey!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply