Transaction Log curosity

• We've been having trouble with our backups so I've deleted the maintenance Plan for the transaction logs and then used the wizard to recreate what we want. I don't see any problems going through the wizard but once the job is done and I go back into the plan to view the TSQL (just to confirm it's setup) the TSQL field is empty. I've also noticed that for some reason the database field is essentially empty. It keeps defaulting back to <Select one or More>. I've tried to select All Databases, All User Databases, and THese databases (where I've tried to select them all, just a few and even just one). It all results in the same, where once the job is resaved, going back in reveals that all the databases have been de-selected.

Another curious thing is that the Backup Set will expire field always gets reset back to 14 days.

I've deleted this plan several times and it always happens on creation.

• Are you doing this with sa permissions?

This screams only 3 things to me :

#1 Bad install of the gui

#2 Missing permissions

#3 Missing patch.

• Ninja's_RGR'us (7/19/2011)

Are you doing this with sa permissions?

This screams only 3 things to me :

#1 Bad install of the gui

#2 Missing permissions

#3 Missing patch.

Could be #3. Many problems with earlier versions of SQL 2005.

• What version is the server you are connecting to - and what is the version of the client tools you are using.

You need to be on 9.00.3054 at a minimum for both the server and client tools. I would recommend upgrading both to SP4, and if you cannot upgrade the server - then at least upgrade the client tools.

This is a known issue for early SP2 releases.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• My inexperience is going to show so please bear with me:

The SQL server is 9.0.3042. I don't know what version the tools is or where it's located.

Does the SP install require a reboot? I would need to create a downtime for all the databases it houses if that is the case.

• tkoselke (7/19/2011)

My inexperience is going to show so please bear with me:

The SQL server is 9.0.3042. I don't know what version the tools is or where it's located.

Does the SP install require a reboot? I would need to create a downtime for all the databases it houses if that is the case.

That's SP2 (http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/administration/2960/)

Version of the tool is in SSMS, Help, About, Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio <your version here>.

SP install on the server will definitely require downtime at least shutting down the db server). I personnally also do the windows updates if they are behind. This is not something you do on a whim. You have to take backup of all dbs (including system dbs), test all restores before attempting the upgrade. And even then it's safer to test the apps too.

• As a side note. I would never recommend using maintenance plans. They've been more than buggy over the years (yes it's getting better, but there's nothing like having your own scripts which you can tweak as needed).

If I hadn't made my own scripts, this is what I would be using : http://ola.hallengren.com/

• I'll look over the site you gave me. I was handed our SQL server after our DBA was let go for job cuts and I had the most "experience" of the remaining system admin. I was using maintenance plans as that gave me a wizard to use to help create, but I've been seeing more and more that you shouldn't use them. So thank you for the site and the info, probably take me some time to digest everything and plan for a system update.

• I would definitely split the 2. Going to SP4 is not a small task especially if you are supporting a lot of applications and that they are not easily tested.

In the mean time, can you really afford to go a few days / weeks without backups?? What happens in disaster recovery scenario?

I've had over 10 top notch DBAs recommend these scripts to me so I wouldn't be worried to put those in prod (after confirming I know how to use them on a test server).

• Going to Service Pack 3 should fix the problems. You should be on SP3 (or SP4) anyway. SP2 is very old.

• While I have your attention:

What about upgrading directly to SQL 2008?

• Pardon me for stepping in here, but going directly to '08 is a bigger can of worms than going to SP4. :hehe:

EDIT: Not that it's a bad idea, just more involved and it adds more risk.

Personal Motto: Why push the envelope when you can just open it?

If you follow the direction given HERE[/url] you'll likely increase the number and quality of responses you get to your question.

Jason L. Selburg
  • tkoselke (7/20/2011)

While I have your attention:

What about upgrading directly to SQL 2008?

What benefits do you see for your company? I would upgrade to R2 in a heartbeat, but only because I'm doing BI dev here and that we have 100s of reports, many of which could use the new features.

I wouldn't upgrade just because the numbers in the years don't match. If I could I'd still be on XP and not upgrade untill a better XP came out or that one became completely useless to me.

• Jason Selburg (7/20/2011)

Pardon me for stepping in here, but going directly to '08 is a bigger can of worms than going to SP4. :hehe:

EDIT: Not that it's a bad idea, just more involved and it adds more risk.

+1 M

• I doubt there would be much benefit right now as the two of us that are going to be using this don't really do much other than making sure it is working and making backups. Maybe down the road when we've got a better handle on what we can do with this it would be beneficial to have 2008.

My thoughts were that we are going to have to take time to do all the work for just doing a SP upgrade would it be better or give us more problems going completely to 2008.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply