Transaction log filling up

• My transaction log keeps filling up, even though it's backup nightly and should be getting truncated any time it's backed up. I ran dbcc opentran to see if there is any open transactions and I don't see any, can anybody what is causing the T-log to get so big, is there anything that I'm missing here.

Thanks

• My first thought is that you have a reindex job running after the backup job...

• why does the reindex job fill up the t_log?

• My experience.  🙂

Check this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/tips/administration/logfilegrowth.asp

Also please search this forum, there are lots of discussions about this topic already. 

Good luck!

• If there is no logshpping in place, Better to truncate the log after backup. Log will grow due to heavy DML operations on the tables/objects.

There may be a huge space between the data pages.

Use following,

----------------------------------------------------

Checkpoint

dbcc freeproccache

dbcc dropcleanbuffers

backup log with truncate_only

----------------------------------------------------

• amina omar (1/23/2004)

why does the reindex job fill up the t_log?

The reindex operation is a fully logged operation, that is why it writes to the transaction log. If you need to recover to a point in time, the log needs to know what operations had occurred.

• amina omar (1/23/2004)

My transaction log keeps filling up, even though it's backup nightly and should be getting truncated any time it's backed up. I ran dbcc opentran to see if there is any open transactions and I don't see any, can anybody what is causing the T-log to get so big, is there anything that I'm missing here.

Thanks

Probably it needs that much space?

The tlog grows as you tell it, I mean you have complete control over it if you manage it properly.

Before we advise you anything you should have to let us know the type of transactions running against this database? What recovery model it is set to? You need to investigate when it is getting full and what are the operations that are run just before the Tlog is full.

• pradyothana (5/18/2009)

If there is no logshpping in place, Better to truncate the log after backup. Log will grow due to heavy DML operations on the tables/objects.

No. Do not truncate the log

There may be a huge space between the data pages.

Sorry, did not get it?

Nope, not at all please do not follow this.

dbcc freeproccache

dbcc dropcleanbuffers

These are irrelevant to tlog file growth.

backup log with truncate_only

Nope, do not. This will break the log chain.

• If you do not have a DR plan with Log shipping, check the mode for the database. If it is full make is simple. But I advice against it.

The best thing to do would be to do Transaction log back ups as well. If you are doing that, the transaction log wont grow that much. It does not hurt to keep the T Log big. You can leave it as it is unless you have space constrains.

-Roy

• pradyothana (5/18/2009)

If there is no logshpping in place, Better to truncate the log after backup.

That is terrible advice to give, especially since you don't mention what truncate only does and the effect on log backups.

If the DB is in full recovery and the log is being backed up to allow point-in-time recovery, then backing up the log with the truncate_only option is stupid. It breaks the log chain by discarding log records. No log backup can be made after that has run and point-in-time recovery is impossibel until another full backup is run.

Please read through this - Managing Transaction Logs[/url]

Bottom line, if point-in-time recovery is needed, then the DB should be in full (or maybe bulk-logged) recovery and log backups need to be taken. If point in time recovery is not required, then set the DB into simple recovery and forget about the log

dbcc freeproccache

dbcc dropcleanbuffers

With no mention of what those are going to do to a server?

FreeProcCache will force every single stored procedure and query to recompile on the next execution. That means significantly higher CPU usage for a while after running that statement. On a busy production server that's near guaranteed to result in slow performance

DropCleanBuffers discards all cached data pages from memory. That means that queries running after that have to go to disk to get data rather than getting it from memory. That means much greater IO load and much slower queries for a while. Again, on a busy production server that's near guaranteed to result in slow performance.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • amina omar (1/23/2004)

My transaction log keeps filling up, even though it's backup nightly and should be getting truncated any time it's backed up.

Transaction log backups or database backups? Only tran log backups truncate a log. Full database backups do not.

Do you need the ability to restore to a point-in-time (in case of a DB failure) or is restoring to the last full backup acceptable?

I ran dbcc opentran to see if there is any open transactions and I don't see any, can anybody what is causing the T-log to get so big, is there anything that I'm missing here.

SELECT name, log_reuse_wait_descr FROM sys.databases

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Thanks Gail(GilaMonster/Gail Shaw) for updating Me

• hi gail ,

i know this is not right way to ask the problem, so apology for this time

but

please see the below link's problem

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost761384.aspx

thanks

-------Bhuvnesh----------
    I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)

• bhuvnesh.dogra (7/29/2009)

i know this is not right way to ask the problem, so apology for this time

If you know it's not the right way to ask, why are you doing it?

I look at all the threads here that I think I can answer and, if I can answer I answer them. If I don't post on your thread it means I'm busy, don't have anything to add, or don't know the answer.

Gail Shaw

• i really apologise for this

-------Bhuvnesh----------
    I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply