Transaction Log Size

• Hello All, how are you today?

I am running SQL 2000, on the backside of a website that is in constant use. I have my Transaction Log Backup running every 30 minutes, my backup file is relatively small in size, approx 25Mb. The Transaction Log that is still active on the database is 235MB, and has been that size for quite some time, approx 3 months. I have the backup set to truncate the Transaction Logs. I guess I am thinking that the original log file should be approz 0Mb after a backup has occurred. I have looked to the BOL, but have not found anything concerning this question. Can anyone shed any light onto this for me?

Thank You in advance for your assistance.

Andrew

How long a minute is....

Depends on what side of the bathroom door you are on.

How long a minute is....
    Depends on what side of the bathroom door you are on.

• Hi,

The best way to control size of ur tran. log is : Schedule Backup job (DB Compelete backup and Trans Log Backup), But if it's already grow to very large size u should SHIRINK it (simply by EM or DBCC method).

SaNaZ

• The file size will only get smaller if you do a shrink on it. Typically you want to set the file size large enough to handle the largest transaction you will have, that way the file doesn't grow and truncate will handle the rest.

Andy

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• Right truncate does not cause the file to shrink use EM to do this once will be easiest and fastest way or DBCC SHRINKFILE can be used.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply