Transaction Logs

• I currently have database maintenance plans set up on my SQL2K box to run backups and transaction logs at regular intervals. In addition, I have these jobs set to delete the backups and transaction logs at regular intervals. The backup files delete but the transaction logs do not delete on their own.

Is there a setting that I am overlooking?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Joanne

• Are you backing up to disk? Are you appending or overwriting? If you are backing up to disk and allowing append, then the date/time of the backup file changes to the date/time of the last file appended. Therefore, it will never 'expire'.

-SQLBill

• SQLBill is correct, check that setting.  You can verify the delete by opening the Server>Management folders and expand SQL Server Agent and click on Jobs.

Find the job that you maintenance plan created and check it's properties.  Then click on the "Steps" tab and edit the job step.  You should see ' -DelBkUps 2DAYS -BkExt "BAK"' (scroll way to the right).

You may also want to consider using a Backup Device.

• I am backing up to disk and I see the delbkups 2days in the steps. However, I am not sure where to check if the job is overwriting or appending. Where do I see this option on a maintenance plan job?

Thanks

Joanne

• There should be another setting for when to delete transaction logs.  Someone else probably knows what the parameter name would be.

So long, and thanks for all the fish,

Russell Shilling, MCDBA, MCSA 2K3, MCSE 2K3

• Thank you everyone for your help. My problem was that some databases were created by other administrators with a recovery mode of simple. I guess there is a bug in SQL2k that will not allow mixed recovery types.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303292

Thanks again,

Joanne

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply