Transactional inserts to access dB from SQL stored procedure

• Hi,

I can insert rows into an access mdb from within a SQL 2000 stored procedure using the OPENROWSET command no problem.

INSERT INTO OPENROWSET(........

SELECT FROM ............

However, if I wrap the command with  BEGIN TRAN (also tried BEGIN DISTRIBUTED TRAN) and COMMIT TRAN, I get error message:-

BEGIN TRAN

INSERT INTO OPENROWSET(.........

SELECT FROM ...............

-- error checking omitted here for conciseness

COMMIT TRAN

Returned Message:-

The requested operation could not be performed because the OLE DB provider 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0' does not support the required transaction interface.

OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0' IUnknown::QueryInterface returned 0x80004002].

Reason for using a stored procedure call to insert into an access mdb is legacy in that I have to write a method which utilises their existing routine of receiving data as an access snapshot file, with data residing in SQL server. This is only a small part of the procedure which has further processing before and after the insert to access mdb but where the whole is wrapped inside a transaction.

Is it possible to have an insert to access mdb as part of a transaction within the stored procedure?

Thanks for any assistance.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Gee,

Got excited for a moment. Thought I'd got a reply.

Any help is appreciated.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply