Transactional Replication failure

• Server A: SQL 2000 SP4 Publisher for publications 1 & 2

Server B: SQL 2000 SP4 Distributor and Subscriber for publication 1

Server C: SQL 2000 SP4 Subscriber for publication 2

I had to remove replication to modify a table on the Publisher. I scripted out the Publications and removed replication. Made my change to the table and ran the script to re-create the publications. I used the Wizard to configure Publishing, Subscribers.....I have dropped and re-created publications many times this way. This time I keep getting 'string data, right truncation' errors in the Distribution Agent as well as EOF errors on the same few tables when the Agent is trying to import them into the Subscriber database(s). I know that my schema and collation is the same on all servers and databases. All of my articles are set up to drop the existing table and re-create it. I dropped the articles for the tables on which I am receiving the errors and tried adding them back in one at a time so the snapshot would catch them.....But when the snapshot runs it does not see the 3 or 4 tables that I have added back in. Tried to re-initialize and it did the snapshot for all 29 articles. Tried Validate Subscriptions and did not receive any errors.

Also, I looked in the sysarticles table, found the sync_objid and noticed that it does not match the view that is named in the script for syncing. When I re-created the publication it seemed to create a new 'generic' sync object and that object is not pointed at that article. I have completely removed replication a couple of times now and same error on same tables. I have run dbcc checkdb on all dbs (publisher, master, distribution, subscription) and do not receive any errors. Integrity checks has been run on these same dbs and did not receive errors.

Is there a way to clear this up?

• That's a strange one !

I usually just remove a specific table, change it, then add it back in, and leave the rest of the publication alone.  (Doesn't explain your problem, just seems simpler.)

• Are you able to bcp manually, meaning can you execute bcp out from the source table on your publisher then bcp into your destination table.

Also are you able to DTS transfer the data across...?

-

• Follow up to the prev post.

The reason I ask is that I had the same issue (today no less) and although I still don't know what in the table was wrong, I set my publication article's snapshot name conflicts option to drop and re-create the existing table. 

Once I did this, the table was recreated and replication started working.  I then set it back to delete existing data and all is still working.  If you're not appending and just replacing with the publisher data, you may want to give this a try.

-

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply