Transferring backups

• Which is the better way to move (or just copy) a database backup from server machine to another station?. In my particular situation, both, the SQL server and the destination station belong to the same windows domain.

May be my approach to achieve some security (having a duplicate copy of the backup in another machine) is not the most correct, but I need to have some mechanism of response in the case of some server fail (HDD damage for example). If somebody have any advice on this issue it will be welcome.

I'm running SQL server 2000 on an Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Station is running on windows 2000 professional.

Thanks in advance

Felix

• So really, you are talking backup strategies here.

We backup the database nightly to another server (via backup device which points to a share on the other server) which itself (on the other server) is backed up to tape.

I also run a backup job to the local disk as a precaution against the other server and it's tape system becoming unavailable.

Further to this I copy the database I'm most interested in to a development/test server/database nightly using a DTS copy database script.

We also do Weekly backups so we can go back to last month + in case it may be required.

Cheers,

DB

The systems fine with no users loggged in. Can we keep it that way ?br>

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply