Transferring DTS Packages to new server

• Hello... I need some advice on the best way to transfer DTS packages from one server to another.  I have gone out to SQLDTS and looked at several options there.  The problem I am running into is that along with copying the packages over to the new server, I need to change all server references to the new server as it will be replacing the old server.  I also need to change some other references (share names, etc) at the same time.  Any one know a good way to do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chad

• First step would be to put togther a VB or VBScript program to programmatically open each package, change the required properties and then save the package.

Second step is to change the packages to use dynamic variables. This would have avoided the problem you have now

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• I found the following site and have implemented it to import a text file dynamically. It enables me to set db location as well text file name change etc.

For example, I have a log file followed by the date. I can run a small vb script to construct the file name.

Anyway, I won't bore you further. Fllow the link;

http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mssql/article.php/3073161

------------------------------
    The Users are always right - when I'm not wrong!

• Thanks for the Info.. I actually saw a SQLServerCentral article this morning that went along those same lines... It used the /A with dtsrun to assign the values... I like the idea of using a file to read in the information as well though.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply