transforming empty string to NULL

• I have a CSV file where some of the date fields is an empty string. I need to transform this into a NULL and found this code

TRIM( [ColumnName] ) == “” ? (DT_STR, 8, 1252)NULL(DT_STR, [length], 1252) : [ColumnName]

I replaced "ColumnName" with my column "Position Entry Date" and the length to 50 as that is the length of the source. So now I have this

TRIM( [Position Entry Date] ) == “” ? (DT_STR, 8, 1252)NULL(DT_STR, 50, 1252) : [Position Entry Date]

When I click OK in Derived Column Transformation Editor, I get this error message.....

TITLE: Microsoft Visual Studio

------------------------------

Error at Data Flow Task [Derived Column [1146]]: Attempt to parse the expression "TRIM( [Position Entry Date] ) == “” ? (DT_STR, 8, 1252)NULL(DT_STR, 50, 1252) : [Position Entry Date]" failed. The token " " at line number "1", character number "36" was not recognized. The expression cannot be parsed because it contains invalid elements at the location specified.

Error at Data Flow Task [Derived Column [1146]]: Cannot parse the expression "TRIM( [Position Entry Date] ) == “” ? (DT_STR, 8, 1252)NULL(DT_STR, 50, 1252) : [Position Entry Date]". The expression was not valid, or there is an out-of-memory error.

Error at Data Flow Task [Derived Column [1146]]: The expression "TRIM( [Position Entry Date] ) == “” ? (DT_STR, 8, 1252)NULL(DT_STR, 50, 1252) : [Position Entry Date]" on "input column "Position Entry Date" (2808)" is not valid.

Error at Data Flow Task [Derived Column [1146]]: Failed to set property "Expression" on "input column "Position Entry Date" (2808)".

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Exception from HRESULT: 0xC0204006 (Microsoft.SqlServer.DTSPipelineWrap)

BUTTONS:

OK

• Your casting syntax is wrong. Also, I use unicode strings when Im dealing with nulls, and then cast it back to non-unicode if I have to afterwards try:

(DT_STR,8,1252)(TRIM([Position Entry Date]) == ""?NULL(DT_WSTR, 50):(DT_WSTR,50)[Position Entry Date])

• Ha, forgot to mark it as code:

(DT_STR,8,1252)(TRIM([Position Entry Date]) == "" ? NULL(DT_WSTR, 50) : (DT_WSTR,50)[Position Entry Date])

• Thanks Mark that worked. I am an SSIS newbie so I have do not understand this logic (I dont understand why it doesnt use VB expressions or SQL functions). Can you walk me through it?

• The bad syntax in your expression looks to be a misplaced :

In an SSIS expression If/Then Else statement, the Then clause follows the ? and the Else clause follows the :

[varA] == [varB] ? [varResult] = "Equal" : [varResult] = "Not equal"

Variable names can be enclosed in square brackets []

To cast a value to a data type, you put the data type name in parens () before the variable

HTH,

Rob

• rgtft (6/22/2011)

The bad syntax in your expression looks to be a misplaced :

In an SSIS expression If/Then Else statement, the Then clause follows the ? and the Else clause follows the :

[varA] == [varB] ? [varResult] = "Equal" : [varResult] = "Not equal"

Variable names can be enclosed in square brackets []

To cast a value to a data type, you put the data type name in parens () before the variable

HTH,

Rob

Great that makes sense except for one part:

NULL(DT_WSTR, 50)

Why is there a cast AFTER the NULL?

• It's a function that takes a parameter as the type...don't ask me why, I have no idea.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply