Transparent DB Server Naming?

• Hi there,

Does anyone know the easiest way to name our Database Servers generically, for example sqlprod1, sqlprod2, sqlacpt, sqldevl etc, or indeed if we should?

I would like to name our new 2005 environment appropriately based on their role, so that if/when the hardware is upgraded, the changes will be transparent. As our developers have a desire to hardcode server names inside their code?!

Cheers in advance

• You need new developers.

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• Yes, your developers need a firm spanking.  How do you expect hardcoded server names to work when the code moves from test to production?  (I assume you do test the code...)

Certainly you don't test on production machines!

---------------------------------------
    elsasoft.org

• Hmmm, yes I think you're nearly correct, except they're not bad just poorly managed! Thanks anyway fella's

• An excellent point!!

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• You can use DNS names for your developers to reference the database with.  In our environment we have an alias for development, UA, and production for each application.  That way our server folks can name the servers anything they want and we don't have to know about it.  just use the alias name in place of the server name in the connection string and you're golden!

The server team can even move databases from one server to another and just update the DNS entries for it and the programs automagically update themselves

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply