Transport Level Error

• Hi,

We have finally started to migrate to SQL 2005 and so we are having to learn through the baptism of fire.

We have installed SQL 2005 on a small server and everything works fine locally.

Then we installed the SQL Management Client onto a separate PC, and once we had learned about the principles of Microsoft's Surface Area features we managed to get this remote client connected to the server.

This remote client allowed me to control the server including the creating of and restoring databases.

However, when I attempted to expand a database to expose its stored procedures I received the following error message

A transport-level error has occurred when receiving results from the server. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The specified network name is no longer available.)

I received the same message whenever I tried to do a SELECT statement from a table which returned a resultset over a given size, yet I could save complete stored procedures back to SQL.

It would seem that the error is to do with data being received by the client and not being sent from the client.

To eliminate the SQL Client, this morning we knocked up a simple query analyzers in .Net C# and used that to fire of queries from different Client PC's and again, above a given recordset threshold we received the same error.

Trawling through the web there seems to many people who have experienced this problem, many claiming it is a network problem and some stating it is an interaction with virus checkers, but I have found nothing conclusive and Microsoft seem conspicuous by their absence.

Does anyone have experience of this problem and hopefully the solution.

Many thanks.
  • This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Hi,

It would seem the problem is to do with a registry key which is part of a security feature within the operating system. We haven't tested the resolution ourselves yet but there are quite a few threads on the subject including this one.

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=239593

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply