Tricky triggers

• Hi,

I am trying to update a child table using a trigger on the master table. However, if more than one record is inserted into the master, my trigger errors out...saying the subquery is returning more than one value. And I see the problem but don't know how to solve it. I'd appreciate any guidance anyone can provide.

• Can you post your trigger code?

Cheers,

- Mark

Cheers,
    - Mark

• Thanks for responding. Here's the code that I'm using. Table1 is the master.

if update (col1)

begin

update table2

set col1=(select col1 from inserted)

end

or

if update(col1)

begin

while (select count(col1) from inserted)>0

update tabel2

set col1=(select inserted.col1 from inserted where inserted.col1=deleted.col1)

end

• You can try the following code (nb. "id" is the primary key field of your master table)

if update (col1)
    begin
    update a2
    set col1 = inserted.col1
    from a2, inserted
    where a2.id = inserted.id
    end

Cheers,

- Mark

Cheers,
    - Mark

• Hi peygham,

quote:

Hi,

I am trying to update a child table using a trigger on the master table. However, if more than one record is inserted into the master, my trigger errors out...saying the subquery is returning more than one value. And I see the problem but don't know how to solve it. I'd appreciate any guidance anyone can provide.

I might be wrong, but I think a trigger is fired once per inser operation, and not once per inserted row, if there are more than one.

If you do this to enforce data (referential) integrity, I would use a PK - FK constraint

Cheers,

Frank

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Webmaster: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs
    My blog: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs/frankkalis/[/url]

• Thank you. I'll try your solutions.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply