Trigger Help

• Hello, I am trying to write a simple insert trigger that will check if a row exists in a table based on the inserted values. If so do NOT do the insert. Here is what I am trying but it inserts the row even if it already exists:

CREATE TRIGGER [PAYMENT_INS] ON dbo.Payment

FOR INSERT

AS

BEGIN TRAN

BEGIN TRY

IF NOT EXISTS(SELECT * FROM payment p, inserted i WHERE p.ORD_ID = i.ORD_ID AND p.SEQ_NUM = i.SEQ_NUM)

BEGIN

INSERT dbo.payment

(ORD_ID, PAY_METHOD, PAY_AMT, PAY_AUTH, COMPLETE_FLG, PAY_NUM, EXPIRE_DT, PAY_INFO, SEQ_NUM)

SELECT DISTINCT

i.ORD_ID, i.PAY_METHOD, i.PAY_AMT, i.PAY_AUTH, i.COMPLETE_FLG, i.PAY_NUM, i.EXPIRE_DT, i.PAY_INFO, i.SEQ_NUM

FROM inserted i

END

END TRY

BEGIN CATCH

SELECT ERROR_NUMBER() ErrorNBR, ERROR_SEVERITY() Severity, ERROR_LINE() ErrorLine, ERROR_MESSAGE() Msg

ROLLBACK TRAN

END CATCH

Best Regards,

~David

• David Kranes (5/18/2009)

Hello, I am trying to write a simple insert trigger that will check if a row exists in a table based on the inserted values. If so do NOT do the insert. Can you please provide a simple example. Thank you.

I guess my question would be why do you need to do this with a trigger? Any reason why this wouldn't be caught with your Primary Key constraint? If you're trying to eliminate multiple PK values for a list of values in the row, then it would seem you just need to either extend your PK as your PK is not living up to it's function as uniquely indentifying the row.

If that is not an option for you, check into an index with a Unique constraint.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• would it work as you wanted it if it were an 'INSTEAD OF INSERT' trigger?

and I agree with Luke .. a Unique constraint is probably the way to go.

• Seems you updated your post as I was posting...

My question still stands, but I also would like to bring up something you may or may not be thinking about... This seems to be for some sort of accounting system. It looks like you are only allowing 1 payment to be made per order... How are you going to handle Orders where multiple payments are made (i.e. installments) or multiple types of payments (i.e. spread over more than one Credit Card, or some cash, some credit etc.) How are you going to handle adjustments? i.e. My order is for $100 and I pay you $100, however I am a tax exempt organization and only after I made my payment I send you in the required forms for tax exemption. You will need to make an adjustment to the total cost of the order and perhaps send me a check for the difference.

Just a few things to think about as you are architecting your solution.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Not only that, but you are trying to insert records that have already been "inserted" into the table. I agree with Luke. You need to extend your primary key and drop the trigger, or place the criteria you are using in your trigger on the insert statement itself and drop the trigger.

• The seq_num handles the multiple payments per transaction. This is newly added so we can not go back and change or remove existing data. That is why there can not be a pk on ord_id and seq_num.

Best Regards,

~David

• At this point I have no choice but to use a trigger as bad a design as it is. Any idea why the NOT EXISTS clause is not working.

Best Regards,

~David

• The problem with the trigger is that it doesn't tell the database what to do if there ARE matches, it just tells it what to do if there are not.

So, if there are any matches, it just goes ahead with the default insert.

That's why you're getting duplicates.

I agree that this should be handled in an insert proc, instead of a trigger. But, if it needs to be a trigger, it should be something like:

if object_id(N'dbo.Payment') is not null

drop table dbo.Payment

go

create table dbo.Payment (

ID int identity primary key,

Ord_ID int,

Seq_Num int);

go

create trigger Payment_Ins on dbo.Payment

instead of insert

as

if exists

(select *

from dbo.Payment p

inner join inserted i

on p.Ord_ID = i.Ord_ID

and p.Seq_Num = i.Seq_Num)

begin

rollback

end

else

begin

insert into dbo.Payment (Ord_ID, Seq_Num)

select distinct Ord_ID, Seq_Num

from inserted

end

go

select 1, 1 union all

select 1, 1 union all

select 2, 1;

go

select 1, 1 union all

select 3, 1;

go

select *

from dbo.Payment;

(Of course, this is a test harness. Don't run the drop command, etc., in your production database.[/i])

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Lynn Pettis (5/18/2009)

Not only that, but you are trying to insert records that have already been "inserted" into the table.

Which is why I'm suggesting an INSTEAD OF trigger. You still get the inserted temp table, so your existing trigger should work if you changed its type.

Or am I missing something really obvious?

• Another option:

if object_id(N'dbo.Payment') is not null

drop table dbo.Payment

go

create table dbo.Payment (

ID int identity primary key,

Ord_ID int,

Seq_Num int);

go

create trigger Payment_Ins on dbo.Payment

instead of insert

as

select distinct Ord_ID, Seq_Num

from inserted

except

select Ord_ID, Seq_Num

from dbo.Payment

go

select 1, 1 union all

select 1, 1 union all

select 2, 1;

go

select 1, 1 union all

select 3, 1;

go

select *

from dbo.Payment;

This one, the trigger won't insert duplicate rows, and will instead insert only those that aren't matched. That means you can have a partial insert, instead of a rollback. The prior one is more ACID, but the second one might be an option, depending on your business needs.

Again, DON'T RUN THIS IN YOUR PRODUCTION DATABASE, it's a test script only. You'll need to decide which, if either, to use, and then modify just the trigger creation to match your needs.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Since an INSTEAD OF INSERT trigger fires prior to the actual INSERT, I'd actually vote for Gus's solution, but I also agree with him on the testing in a development environment first.

• GSquared, both your examples were very helpful. Thank you all for your time and efforts.

Best Regards,

~David

• You're welcome.

Property of The Thread

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply