Trigger question

• Since temporary solutions are under discussion, I'd like to hear the arguments against "commit tran" - It does (as Rob said) - "seem to work" !!!

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• I'm the TSQL guy... ask the transaction guy .

I got nothing for or against it.  No one ever proposed something like that. Maybe that's simply because it goes against the atomicity of the process or against the design behind triggers.  I can't answer that one but the fact that nobody even mentionned this on this board would make me a little on edge to use it .

Maybe we should ask Steve (owner) on this one...

• "No one ever proposed something like that" essentially seems to be the only argument I too can think of - certainly discussion boards seem to abound on similar requirements (haven't seen any on ssc so far) on other sites...sure it goes against basic principles but we are discussing "workarounds"...

I do think that Rob (however inadvertently) has stumbled upon something - Rob : maybe you can go back to erland and ask him and let us know what he says...

ps:Knowing Jeff, he's bound to come back with some research/info on this...

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• Maybe this weekend... right now, I'm still sucking my thumb wonder what the heck I was thinking

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply