Trigger question

• I'm needing to basically create a minor audit trail for a column that I have in a database.

The table name is Employees and the column I'm needing to audit for changes is one called TeamID.

What I'm needing to know is :

Can someone give me a fairly quick sample create trigger statement for this.  The table I'm wanting would store the following:  TeamUpdate, Employee ID, Old Team.  I'm having trouble determining how to reference the exact record I'm updating and want to make sure rather than fumbling around tryin to figure this out.

Another question I have is if someone is using an Access front-end Form and "updates" the record, does this also cause the update trigger to fire off in SQL or do I need to worry about trapping this behavior somewhere else?

Thanks in advance.

• Create trigger tr_upd_employee on Employees for insert

as

if @@rowCount = 0 return

if Update ( TeamID )

begin

Insert into AuditTable ( EmlpoyeeID, OldTeam, NewTeam)

select new.EmployeeID, ot.TeamName,  nt.TeamName

from inserted new join deleted old on new.EmployeeID = old.EmployeeID 

left join Teams ot on old.TeamID = ot.TeamName

left join Teams nt on new.TeamID = nt.TeamName 

end

GO

And The Trigger will fire regardless what front-end you use

Cheers,

* Noel

• The code above is correct, except that the requirements seem to specify that should apply to table updates.  It does seem reasonable to capture the initial insert as well, which the current code does.  To capture updates, simply change the first line to read:

Create trigger tr_upd_employee on Employees for insert, update

Don't forget to make OldTeam nullable in audit table for the inserts.

Scott Thornburg

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply