Trigger Results

• I have a detail table which uses a sequence number ( int, IDENTITY ) as a key. I created a trigger on the table to write the sequence number to another table whenever a record is updated. I am selecting the sequence number as Select @seq from ( select SeqNbr deom DELETED ). The results show the sequence number as NULL. Any help on why?

• The syntax of your select statement looks a little strange. I presume this is just a typo?

Do you check the value of @@rowcount at the start of the trigger?

If the update statement caused no rows to be updated, the trigger will still fire, but you will have no rows in the deleted table.

• What does it mean Select @seq from ( select SeqNbr deom DELETED ).

It is incorrect.

You have to type:

select @seq = SeqNbr from DELETED

But do not forget that you may delete several rows so beware what you will get assigned to @seq (in this case the SeqNbr value of the last row selected)

Bye

Gabor

Bye
    Gabor

• If you are trying to populate into another table the seqn number, select the seqn number directly from the deleted table into the table to which you are inserting.

insert into table1(seqn)

select seqn from Deleted.

• The @@ROWCOUNT suggestion did the trick!

The NEW statement is:

DECLARE @SEQ int

IF @@ROWCOUNT <> 0

BEGIN

SELECT @SEQ = (SELECT SeqNbr FROM DELETED)

INSERT INTO tblActions(action_type, seqnbr) VALUES('U', @seq)

END

• quote:

The @@ROWCOUNT suggestion did the trick!

The NEW statement is:

DECLARE @SEQ int

IF @@ROWCOUNT <> 0

BEGIN

SELECT @SEQ = (SELECT SeqNbr FROM DELETED)

INSERT INTO tblActions(action_type, seqnbr) VALUES('U', @seq)

END

Don't do this. If multiple rows are updated within one statement, you'll get an error and the update will roll back because you cannot set a local variable to more than one value. Use the method suggested by charlieo:

INSERT tblActions(Action_Type, SeqNbr)

SELECT 'U', SeqNbr FROM deleted

--Jonathan

--Jonathan

• If you have more than one updates taking place at the same time on the table then u will get the error, so simply insert the values from the deleted table in the other table.

Cheers!

Arvind

Arvind

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply