Triggers

• Hi,

I have two tables in my SQL Database.

T1,

Date,Time,Customer, Value,Ref

T2

Date,Time,Customer, Value,Ref

I am looking for a way to update T2 when a value is inserted into T1, but the trigger would need to validate that the record does not already exist in T2.

Could you possiblt assist me with this ?

Thanks,

Amie

• You could try something like:

if exists (select * from t2 t inner join inserted i

on t.Customer= i.Customer

and t.Value = i.Value)

begin

raiserror ('The value exists in t2', 16, 1)

rollback transaction

end

The "inserted" table indicates the records that are inserted by an insert query or updated by an update query.

Russel Loski, MCSE Business Intelligence, Data Platform

• you database design isnt right. You shouldnt be storing the same data in two different tables becasue you are likely to have problems with consistency.

why not just add a bit column to t1 which gets set when the event that previously duplicated the row in t2 occurs.

www.sql-library.com[/url]

• Gentlemen,

Thankyou for your replies.

Russel,

Would your solution also work if an application updated the tables? 

Kindest Regards,

Nick

• It would if you put this in an update trigger.  You can specify that the trigger is an update trigger or insert trigger or both.

Russel Loski, MCSE Business Intelligence, Data Platform

• Hi

It is simply possible with Triggers as well as OUTOUT with using INSERT Statement.

There is smaple programe of using OUTPUT Clause.

INSERT INTO dbo.EmployeeSales     OUTPUT INSERTED.EmployeeID,            INSERTED.LastName,            INSERTED.FirstName,            INSERTED.CurrentSales,            INSERTED.ProjectedSales     SELECT e.EmployeeID, c.LastName, c.FirstName, sp.SalesYTD, sp.SalesYTD * 1.10     FROM HumanResources.Employee AS e         INNER JOIN Sales.SalesPerson AS sp         ON e.EmployeeID = sp.SalesPersonID         INNER JOIN Person.Contact AS c         ON e.ContactID = c.ContactID     WHERE e.EmployeeID LIKE '2%'     ORDER BY c.LastName, c.FirstName;

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply