Trouble shooting e-mail delivery

• I'm trying to set up a subscription for the first time. I suspect the e-mail delivery is not working as there is no incoming message to my e-mail.

Is there a way to trouble shoot e-mail delivery? Like a log file somewhere?

It would have been great to have a Test button when first setting up the SMTP server and From address.

• I should have mentioned that the job behind the subscription runs as expected. I can see this from Enterprise Manager. It reports no errors yet the e-mail is not being delivered.

I hope this isn't a dumb question but on the machine hosting Reporting Services, do I need to have SQL Mail configured in order for Reporting Services to e-mail reports? I'm struggling to find good documentation on this.

Thanks.

• Reporting Service has problem with sending report as attachment. If I select send as link then there is no problem

• I tried this for my configuration and it made no difference. I even tried a subscription without a link or attachment and I still don't receive an e-mail.

This is very frustrating because I can't seem to find any log file that indicates what the problem is.

I've tried playing around with various settings in the rsreportserver.config file but so far, nothing has made a difference.

I'm about to give up which is a shame because I suspect Reporting Services could have made a big difference in my shop. Some of my colleagues are pushing for Crystal Reports and I had hoped to show them we didn't need it.

• When you look at the subcription status, what does it say?  ie does RS think that it's done the right thing?

You may also want to check your email delivery extension config in the RSReportServer.config

Cheers,

Steve.

• Do the log files located at, "C:\Program Files\Microsfot SQL Server\MSSQL\Reporting Services\LogFiles" give you any clues? You should be able to see when your subscription runs. The following is the sequence from one of our scheduled subscriptions.

EventPolling processing 1 more items. 1 Total items in internal queue.

EventPolling processing item 0868bd5b-351d-4671-b9f1-31c7fe750dae

Schedule e5bf9e31-f99e-4e61-8c06-0bd8ab8fbd60 executed at 03/29/2005 11:00:08.

Updating report execution snapshot for report /Morning/DebtorsTrading

INFO: Initializing EnableIntegratedSecurity to 'True'  as specified in Server system properties.

INFO: Initializing SqlStreamingBufferSize to default value of '64640' Bytes because it was not specified in Server system properties.

INFO: Cleaned 0 batch records, 0 policies, 0 sessions, 0 cache entries, 0 snapshots, 0 chunks, 0 running jobs

INFO: Adding: 1 running jobs to the database

INFO: Initializing SnapshotCompression to 'SQL'  as specified in Server system properties.

INFO: Initializing EnableExecutionLogging to 'True'  as specified in Server system properties.

EventPolling processing 1 more items. 2 Total items in internal queue.

EventPolling processing item 6d30ce26-0ccc-4f2d-ac9d-6ba1ab9655f8

Creating notifications for report execution snapshot update event for report 3ed49d83-bef9-4757-b8d1-b8a63d147f40

Schedule e5bf9e31-f99e-4e61-8c06-0bd8ab8fbd60 execution completed at 03/29/2005 11:02:21.

EventPolling finished processing item 0868bd5b-351d-4671-b9f1-31c7fe750dae

EventPolling finished processing item 6d30ce26-0ccc-4f2d-ac9d-6ba1ab9655f8

NotificationPolling processing 1 more items. 1 Total items in internal queue.

NotificationPolling processing item d601ffb9-f430-4348-bd3f-d00c7362ae15

EventPolling processing item ae74ad13-6619-4a95-aa3b-8cf3e0f92282

Creating notifications for snapshot creation for snapshot id 26C74CF7-AB11-43E2-B845-2B85B970DD33

EventPolling processing 1 more items. 1 Total items in internal queue.

EventPolling finished processing item ae74ad13-6619-4a95-aa3b-8cf3e0f92282

INFO: Call to RenderFirst( '/Morning/DebtorsTrading' )

INFO: ### GetReportChunk('RenderingInfo_EXCEL', 2), chunk was not found! this=6e023653-6ba0-421d-8698-1ae4669a99af

INFO: From cache live: /Morning/DebtorsTrading

INFO: Initializing SessionTimeout to '600' second(s) as specified in Server system properties.

INFO: Initializing EnableExecutionLogging to 'True'  as specified in Server system properties.

Email successfully sent to "xxx@yyy.com.au" <xxx@yyy.com.au>

Notification d601ffb9-f430-4348-bd3f-d00c7362ae15 completed.  Success: True, Status: Mail sent to xxx@yyy.com.au, DeliveryExtension: Report Server Email, Report: DebtorsTrading, Attempt 0

NotificationPolling finished processing item d601ffb9-f430-4348-bd3f-d00c7362ae15

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• Thanks Steve and Phil.

To answer Steve, when I go to the 'My Subscriptions' area of my browser, I see my subscription but the 'Last Run' column has no value and the 'Status' column has a value of 'New Subscription'.

This would indicate the subscription didn't fire yet when I go to the SQL Server hosting my Reporting Services, I see that the job associated with my subscription did in fact run successfully.

To answer Phil, I can't find any log file in the relevant directory that contains text like the sort you pasted into your message. I do have log files there but they seem to be general purpose ones. Is there a naming convention to the log files you see this information in? Do I have to explicitly turn subscription logging on somewhere?

I am starting to think my subscriptions aren't fully running. The SQL Server job associated with the subscription appears to be firing but Reporting Services doesn't seem to connect this to a subscription.

- Mike

• For the log files information, check the topic "Reporting Services Trace Logs" in the Reporting Services Books Online. There is also a link on that page for the configuration file settings. You'll probably need to change the DefaultTraceSwitch setting to provide more logging info.

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• Thanks Phill.

I have discovered that although my settings are such that I should be tracing all components, I'm only getting trace files created for ReportServerService. I had been getting trace files for the other two components last week but in my troubleshooting of the failed e-mail delivery issue, I must have changed something that causes this effect.

I am starting to think the problem has to do with the logon used in my ReportServer service. I believe when I first installed ReportingServices I used machine\ASPNET. Later, I changed this to the domain Administrator.

I notice that I do not get any trace logs at all when using machine\ASPNET but I do get the trace log for ReportServerService when I used the domain Administrator.

Here is a dump of that log file. I think there is some problem with the encryption key, which I'll into later today.

ReportingServicesService!library!b68!3/30/2005-08:22:44:: v VERBOSE: Transaction begin.

ReportingServicesService!crypto!b68!3/30/2005-08:22:44:: i INFO: Exporting public key

ReportingServicesService!crypto!b68!3/30/2005-08:22:44:: i INFO: Performing sku validation

ReportingServicesService!crypto!b68!3/30/2005-08:22:44:: i INFO: Importing existing encryption key

ReportingServicesService!library!b68!3/30/2005-08:22:45:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ReportServerDisabledException: The report server cannot decrypt the symmetric key used to access sensitive or encrypted data in a report server database. You must either restore a backup key or delete all encrypted content and then restart the service. Check the documentation for more information., ;

Info: Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ReportServerDisabledException: The report server cannot decrypt the symmetric key used to access sensitive or encrypted data in a report server database. You must either restore a backup key or delete all encrypted content and then restart the service. Check the documentation for more information. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80090005): Bad Data.

at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHR(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)

at RSManagedCrypto.RSCrypto.ImportSymmetricKey(Byte[] pSymKeyBlob)

at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.ConnectionManager.GetEncryptionKey()

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

ReportingServicesService!library!b68!3/30/2005-08:22:45:: Exception caught while starting service. Error: Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ReportServerDisabledException: The report server cannot decrypt the symmetric key used to access sensitive or encrypted data in a report server database. You must either restore a backup key or delete all encrypted content and then restart the service. Check the documentation for more information. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80090005): Bad Data.

at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHR(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)

at RSManagedCrypto.RSCrypto.ImportSymmetricKey(Byte[] pSymKeyBlob)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.ConnectionManager.ConnectStorage()

at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.ConnectionManager.VerifyConnection()

at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.ServiceController.ServiceStartThread()

ReportingServicesService!library!b68!3/30/2005-08:22:45:: Attempting to start service again...

ReportingServicesService!servicecontroller!78c!3/30/2005-08:25:42:: Service controller exiting.

This is probably the problem I'm having. Thanks.

- Mike

• You made backups of your keys after installing (or upgrading to SP1) yeah? If not, I think you will need to re-install

Actually, you may be able to make this work by changing the service account back to aspnet again as i think the keys are related to the user.  The issue re: aspnet not logging is most likely caused by no permissions on the (target logging) directory for the aspnet user (it has *really* minimal access, which is much bette than using the domain admin).

If you back up your keys i think these can then be useful after you change the (service) user.

Cheers,

Steve.

• OK, I finally got this working. I almost gave up a few times due to frustration and lack of time.

What I ended up doing was uninstalling and reinstalling Reporting Services (a number of times). I think my original problem had to do with changing the default installation choices, particularly in regards to the service account, when I didn't really understand what I was doing. I also had mixed the install up between the C and D drives. I'm not sure if this had anything to do with it but in the install that worked for me, I just used the C drive.

My advice to others first starting out ... accept the default installation choices whenever you can. If you have problems, don't give up and use this forum if necessary. I found it a big help.

BTW, the only change I made to the installation choices was to uncheck the SSL option as it wasn't really an issue in my scenario.

Now I am getting other formatting issues but hopefully, I can sort these out or find another post on the particular issue.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply