Trouble with Excel Data Source

• I am trying to connect to some 97-2003 Excel files but when that didn't work because of the error I was getting I looked at some 2007 files as well because eventually I'll have to be able to connect to both. The 2007 work fine. Here is the connection string for the 97-2003 Manager:

Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\Users\cehlinger\Desktop\DJLWinTest.xls;Extended Properties="Excel 8.0;HDR=YES";

I also attempted to set up the connection through OLE DB but receive this error when I try and test the connection:

"Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider. Could not find installable ISAM."

• You guys are awesome, this is exactly what I needed, and I hadn't even asked yet! Thanks gang! ๐Ÿ˜€

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• ehlinger (3/11/2011)

I am trying to connect to some 97-2003 Excel files but when that didn't work because of the error I was getting I looked at some 2007 files as well because eventually I'll have to be able to connect to both. The 2007 work fine. Here is the connection string for the 97-2003 Manager:

Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\Users\cehlinger\Desktop\DJLWinTest.xls;Extended Properties="Excel 8.0;HDR=YES";

I also attempted to set up the connection through OLE DB but receive this error when I try and test the connection:

"Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider. Could not find installable ISAM."

Did you find the problem with accessing Excel 97 files? A Google search on your ISAM error message suggests that the Excel provider is either not present or is not registered on the SQL server. This could be an issue with the MDAC installation or something else. It's beyond my expertise, but I thought since there's been no response to this last post, I'd at least do the quick search.

• No, I didn't find an answer to it. I don't think what you found is the answer because like I indicated there are some 97 Excel files that do work but these particular ones won't.

• I know this is an old thread but I thought this was worth adding:

I was getting the error message

Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider. External table is not in the expected format.

When trying to open an XL2007 (Excel 12.0) file. If I already had the file open in Excel I could read the data from the worksheet. If it was closed then I got the error messages. I tracked the issue down to the fact that the provider has protected the file for formatting (anyone with access to the folder can open the file, but not everyone can modify the columns and worksheet formats, but they can edit the data)

I proved with by opening the .xlsx file in TextPad (any ASCII editor will do) and the top of the text shows

E|n|c|r|y|p|t|e|d|P|a|c|k|a|g|e

Where as for an unprotected file you get

รœ[Content_Types].xml ยขร˜(

I didn't find a way to open the package with protection but at least it gives you a reason why.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply