Trouble with SQL 2000 to SQL 2008 R2 upgrade (Dev Ed)

• I have SQL 2000 SP4 development servers that I am testing with. One of the steps of our testing is to upgrade SQL 2000 to SQL 2008 R2.

(the primary focus of our testing is SQL 2008 R2 compatibility)

The first attempt failed after selecting: "Upgrade from SQL Server 2000, SQL Server 2005 or SQL Server 2008".

I get past the first few steps (setup support rules 11 passed - 1 skipped, product key, license terms) but then I get to a step that fails.

"Select Features" (we are only using the database engine, no reporting services, no full-text search, etc.)

Just under the "Select Features" heading I see the text:

"It is not possible to change the SQL Server features to be upgraded in this release"

I see greyed out "Shared Features" and "Redistributable Features"

Clicking "Next >" gives me a pop-up error that states:

"There are validation errors on this page. Click OK to close this dialog box. Review errors at the bottom of the setup page, then provide valid parameters or click Help for more information."

If I cannot select anything, how exactly can I correct this?

My status box has a red circle with a white X in it that states: "There are no features selected for upgrade.".

After the first failure, I read the Microsoft documentation and discovered that I was attempting an upgrade path that was not supported. (SQL 2000 Enterprise Edition to SQL 2008 R2 Developer Edition) I downgraded to SQL 2000 Developer Edition w/SP4 and still got the same failure.

I also installed and ran the "Upgrade Advisor", it did not find any reason to stop my install. I received two warning messages - one about meta-data (which we do not use) another about DTS which we do not have any packages.

Looking on Google and other resources indicates I am attempting to upgrade from a 32-bit version of SQL 2000 to a 64-bit version of SQL 2008 R2. (which we really want to do!) Nothing inside of the install log files appears to have a fatal error.

If there is a 32-bit installer .exe I have not been able to find it.

Most of the advice I find does not seem to apply to my install or problem. It appears to be a common issue, but with a rather complicated solution.

I am willing to do whatever is required to resolve this, I just need to get a solid install done.

Thanks to anyone that can help.

NEW INFORMATION:

I rebooted the server and got past the "Feature Selection" point, but I failed from not enough free storage...

It appears the initial problem was my attempt to upgrade from SQL 2000 EE to SQL 2008 R2 DE.

This problem might be resolved - I am moving files around to free up some space on the C: drive.

The initial failure (upgrading a 32-bit SQL to 64-bit) appears to be what caused my pain. After removing "SQL Server 2008 R2 Setup (English)" and trying it again using the "Options" selection on the right to select x86 my install is working now.

I'll just need to upgrade the 32-bit version to a 64-bit SQL 2008 R2 at some point in the future. A three-step process, but better then not getting there at all. 🙂

• Are you still having any issues, or did you resolve everything on your own? Sounds like you have it well in hand.

If not, perhaps you would have better luck doing a side-by-side install and migrating the databases to the new version. for the record, I almost never do upgrades. I always prefer to do new installs. Less chance of problems occurring.

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• Robert, thanks for the reply, I resolved my issues. It took a bit of investigation and effort, but I resolved it.

I keep giving Microsoft too much credit, I figured the install "wizard" was smarter then it was.

• Douglas Elwood (6/2/2012)

I figured the install "wizard" was smarter then it was.

Quote of the day! 🙂

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• What was the resolution I am running into the same problem with SQL 2012 I have X64 OS and 32bit SQL 2005.

• Hi,

I suspect you cannot upgrade from a 32-bit SQL Server to a 64-bit SQL even if you are on a 64-bit O/S.

My problem was because the old version of SQL Server was not 64-bit.

You might need to un-install SQL 2005 copy all of your database files somewhere safe and then install SQL 2005 64-bit and copy your "saved" database files to the MSSQL folder of the new install. (after stopping SQL)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply