Troubleshoot Maintenance Plan (backup) Long Running

• Hi,

Sql Server 2005 SP2

Small databases

I have a maintenance plan to perform CHECKDB, Reindex, Backup, Cleanup tasks in that order. Lately, its been running very very long. For more than 2 days.

Initially it was because of a bunch of reasons i.e. disk ran out of space, TRN and BAK jobs running on top of each other, etc.

But now, I created a new plan with just backup. Even that runs forever. Just simple backup, nothing else (small database).

Now, if I create a job with T-Sql command and run it, it runs fast in under a second. But if I create a Maintenance Plan on the same database it takes forever.

How do I troubleshoot this? I do not get any errors because, I stop the job after running for a few hours.

Any ideas,

_To

• Hi,

For the beginning maybe you should check what is hapenning with that process.

You have plenty of solutions for that (activity monitor,DMV,etc.).

My advice:

--Run job again.

-- use master..sysprocesses

select *

from master..sysprocesses

where kpid <> 0 and spid > 50

-- find your job and post results here (wait_type,wait_resource,blocked,cmd)

• Execute the following query while the Maintenance Plan is running and check if there are any blocks or anything that the process is waiting on.

SELECT * FROM sys.dm_exec_requests

Also since the instance is running on SP2, it would be a good idea to upgrade to SP3 or above especially from Maintenance Plan perspective.

Pradeep Adiga
    Blog: sqldbadiaries.com
    Twitter: @pradeepadiga

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply