Truncation Error

• In an SSIS package I am using a Data Flow Task and I am getting this warming:

Warning 2 Validation warning. Load Daily Folios from NVCORP: {6574291C-EDED-4C84-8E07-FABBCAD8883D}:

Truncation may occur due to retrieving data from database column "ORIGINAL_SRP" with a length of 11 to data flow column "ORIGINAL_SRP" with a length of 3. NVCORP - STAGE - FoliolinkResvRate_STG - Local.dtsx 0 0

But my SP_COLUMNS shows the following for the ORIGINAL_SRP column

TABLE_NAME COLUMN_NAME DATA_TYPE TYPE_NAME PRECISION LENGTH

FOLIOLINK_RESV_RATE_STG ORIGINAL_SRP 12 varchar 50 50

Any thoughts , why it thinks it's only a length of 3??

• sp_columns shows the length of the column in the database. The error message propbably indicates that the length 3 is in the data flow column in the package. have you explicitly defined it or it has been created automatically following the package (VS) GUI ?

With the Microsoft drivers sometines the data type is determined by a few first rows of the data, i had similar situations when importing from Excel into SQL Server.

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• Thanks for the response, I believe that is the case , originally in the Data Flow I was hardcoding a value of 'UNK' for the field ORIGINAL_SRP, we have now implemented real code for the column :), and it is no longer a 3 column hard code. I would imagine the Data Flow task will work fine when it runs.

I was just not sure if I needed t clear the warning in BIDS prior to putting the code into Production. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks again

Michael-

• I don't know what the particular warnings come up for your package, you have to evaluate the warnings and determine if they are relevant or not.

My advice is to take User or Functional requrements, write Test Cases that are based on the requirements and or specifications and test your package before you release it to production. If all tests pass for a range of conditions, you ask the business to test. If all tests pass then your package is performing according to the requirments and / or specifications. Usually a technical person test based on specifications and the business tests based on the user and business requirements.

After the package is moved to production, test again.

Yelena

Regards,Yelena Varsha

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply