Trying To Document Database

• Okay, we have all worked in databases that were horribly documented, I am working in a new one and now it's time to start the documentation, and now I understand why so many other databases have not been documented in the past, doing it is painful .

I would like some feedback from the group on what the best way to do this is, because right now I am at a loss, currently have the following groupings:

• SP Descriptions
    • SP's and Tables
    • Tables
    • Field Definations

My goal is that when this database eventually grows to the point that we need a parttime or a fulltime DBA to manage it, the person will be able to come in and know what is going on more or less.  Eventually I might create a data map, although I doubt it, most of the tables dont really join at this point, I am basically getting getting text files from varoius sources and told how they join and from there, I run a report that once it's standarized, I create an SP.

Any help would be appericated.

Richard

• Save yourself months of work and buy Apex SQLDoc or Innovasys DocumentX.

I spent 4 months documenting a huge database and then found out that DocumentX could do it in under 1 minute.

• Really?  How does it do that?  My database has more than 60 SPROCS and more than 50 tables.  It creates and drops tables on the fly in order to perform analysis.  The documentation that I produce helps me with the development of the system.  Would the software that you mention really help with a database of this size?  Surely there must be considerable limits to software like this.

• Check BIDocumenter to document sql server databases it documents SQL Server, SSAS, SSRS and SSIS.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply