Trying to generate XML result with Header, CDATA

• Hi all,

I'm using SQL 2005, sp0 and sp1 (that is, I've tested against both).

I've trying to find a way to have my SP return the following:

------------------------

------------------------

Now, from what I've read so far, CDATA is best (only?) done in XML EXPLICIT. So I have to following:

------------------------

/****** Object: Table [PromotionRuleSet] Script Date: 08/21/2006 12:02:23 ******/

IF OBJECT_ID ('[PromotionRuleSet]') IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE [PromotionRuleSet]

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

CREATE TABLE [PromotionRuleSet](

[UID] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,

[PromotionRuleSetStatusType_Uno] [smallint] NOT NULL,

[PromotionRuleSetText] [nvarchar](max) NOT NULL,

[PromotionRuleSetToken] [nchar](16) NOT NULL,

[CreatedOn] [datetime] NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_CreatedOn_PromotionRuleSet] DEFAULT (getdate()),

[CreatedBy] [sysname] NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_CreatedBy_PromotionRuleSet] DEFAULT (user_name()),

[LastChangedOn] [datetime] NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_LastChangedOn_PromotionRuleSet] DEFAULT (getdate()),

CONSTRAINT [PK_PromotionRuleSet] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED

(

[UID] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF) ON [PRIMARY]

) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

insert INTO [PromotionRuleSet]

([PromotionRuleSetStatusType_Uno]

,[PromotionRuleSetText]

,[PromotionRuleSetToken])

SELECT -1,'Rule 1','20060627_0000001'

UNION all

SELECT -1,'Rule 2','20060627_0000002'

UNION all

SELECT -1,'Rule 3','20060627_0000003'

UNION all

SELECT 2,'Rule 4','20060627_0000004'

DECLARE @RuleSetToken nCHAR(16)

SET @RuleSetToken = '20060627_0000001'

SELECT 1 AS Tag,

0 AS Parent,

NULL AS [PromotionRuleSet!1!PromotionRuleSet],

NULL AS [RuleSetText!2!!CDATA]

UNION ALL

SELECT 2 AS Tag,

1 AS Parent,

NULL AS [PromotionRuleSet!1!PromotionRuleSet],

PromotionRuleSetText AS [RuleSetText!2!!CDATA]

FROM [PromotionRuleSet]

WHERE PromotionRuleSetToken = @RuleSetToken

ORDER BY Tag

FOR XML EXPLICIT

IF OBJECT_ID ('[PromotionRuleSet]') IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE [PromotionRuleSet]

------------------------

This generates the nodes, with the CDATA, but I've not found a way to add the xml header. anyone?

...GRRR - forums destroying my attempt to show the XML... I'll try in a next post..

• XML required:

?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16" ?

PromotionRuleSet

RuleSetText ![CDATA[Rule 1]] /RuleSetText

/PromotionRuleSet

--I'm afraid adding the GREATER THAN and LESS THAN tags, amkes the text invisible!

What I get atm:

PromotionRuleSet

RuleSetText ![CDATA[Rule 1]] /RuleSetText

/PromotionRuleSet

--again - add the GT's and LT's.

I need to find a way of adding

?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16" ?

while generating CDATA section...

• How are you persisting the generated xml ? I've never seen SQL Server generate the xml declaration and there's no way I can see of inserting it into the stream. If you're using VBScript within a DTS package or an equivalent then you can script the inclusion of the declaration there instead.

If you need an example let me know.

Sorry I can't be more help.

• Hi Noggin,

thanks for the response.

I'm currently look at a stored procedure that I had hoped would be able to include the XML header as part of the XML result returned. There are ways to 'hack' this by appending, for example, the header as a string to a string conversion of the XML, and then casting the resulting string as XML, and assigning it to the variable.... I know it ugly - I did say it was a hack (maybe klidge would be a more appropriate label).

However, I seem to be having a strange problem trying to use even that soultion when using XML explicit to create my XML with the CDATA scetion.

In an ideal world, I was hoping that somone with a bit more experience was going to tell me about a parametre I hadn't found that would include a header, something like:

FOR XML EXPLICIT, HEADER ''

but it would seem there is no such thing...

I may end up having to do this in the SSIS package (we are using sql 2005 []) - I was thinking of creating the target file, then using a .Net script component to edit the file and include the header, since I don't know of a way to do this before writing the file (open to suggestions though).

Well, thanks for the response... let me know if you have any comments/suggestions

• If you're going to use SSIS I answered a similar question here http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=148&messageid=291798

Instead of using a StreamWriter you could create an XMLDocument or XMLTextWriter which will enable you to easily save the file with the required encoding and declaration.

• great, thanks Noggin - I'm going to play around with that. Since I'm a virtual virgin with .Net, Weould it be alright if I ran a question ro 2 past you, in this thread, as I play around with this?

TIA

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply