Trying to group columns into one row

• Hi,

Im having problems trying to group a column into a single row. I have a table with the columns Ops_Narr_No, Sequence and Narr_Line. Im using the following query. I'm getting a collation error, but I'm not sure why the query wont work.

DECLARE @MaxRank int

DECLARE @Counter  int

DROP TABLE #Output

CREATE TABLE #Output(ID int, CText Varchar(6000) )

INSERT INTO #Output SELECT Op_Narr_No, rtrim(Narr_Line) as test FROM dbo.Ops_Narr Where Sequence=00

SELECT @MaxRank = Max(Sequence) From dbo.Ops_Narr

SET @Counter = 2

WHILE @Counter <= @MaxRank

BEGIN

UPDATE A SET A.CText = RTRIM(A.Ctext) + ' ' + RTRIM(Ctext)FROM #Output A INNER JOIN

dbo.Ops_Narr B ON A.ID = B.Op_Narr_No WHERE B.Sequence = @Counter

SET @Counter = @Counter +1

END

i need help asap, im not very good with sql. thanx

• I would look at the table definitions of Ops_Narr and ensure that BOTH columns are either CHAR with the SAME COLLATION or INTEGER (SANS Collation).

Looks like you are either having a problem with ID = NO or Sequence = @Counter....

Without seeing the DDL of the table Ops_Narr this is a best guess....

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• I dont quite understand this error when i run the above query i get the following error.

Server: Msg 457, Level 16, State 1, Line 13

Implicit conversion of varchar value to varchar cannot be performed because the collation of the value is unresolved due to a collation conflict.

could you help?

• Look at the DDL of the tables.  One of the columns you are attempting to join on has a different COLLATION then the others.  This is causing the problem.  2 different ways to resolve it

1,  Redo the collation of the offending columns to match the others

2.  Have your SELECT statement perform a collate (see BOL) so they match

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply