Trying to Install SQL Server 2008 RTM

• I am getting "The credentials you provided for the SQL Server Agent service are invalid. To continue, provide a valid account and password for the SQL Server Agent Service.". I have run this many times. There is no way to provide the correct account and password at this point. I must start all over again. Is anyone else getting this error and is there a way around it. And yes the credentials I am entering are correct and are in the local Administrators group.

Steve

• No. I'm not getting this one. Sorry. I've only done about four installs so far (not counting CTP's), but no issues at all... So far... knock wood.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• I thought you can re-configure the account either in

SQL Server Configuration Manager

or Services.msc (sometimes work better than Config Manager)

Enter new credentials, and restart the service

SQLServerNewbie MCITP: Database Administrator SQL Server 2005
  • Thanks for this, but the error comes up in the install process so there is no config manager to change it.

Steve

• SW_Lindsay (9/23/2008)

Thanks for this, but the error comes up in the install process so there is no config manager to change it.

Steve

Interesting, is it a valid Computer User account?

If all else fails, create a dummy account in Computer Management -> Users/Groups

then assign SQL Agent to use that account

Are you using the SAME account for ALL services? or different users for DB Engine and SQL Agent?

If first case, click on the "USE Same account for All Services" then enter the username/password

SQLServerNewbie MCITP: Database Administrator SQL Server 2005
  • yes it is a valid id and password. It is working on that server for 2005. I think it is because it is a VMWare server.

• Are you doing a command line install? There is a entry on Connect about this problem.

The /AGTSVCPASSWORD parameter does not like the password value to be in quotes.

Therefore /AGTSVCPASSWORD="passwordvalue" will give the error message you have, but /AGTSVCPASSWORD=passwordvalue will work OK.

All the other /...PASSWORD parameters work OK with the password in quotes.

PS This also means the agent password value must be acceptable to the command line parser, or it will get parsed into multiple strings before it gets read by the SQL Server SETUP program.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• I wish I was this is the first good lead. But I am just running setup.exe and following the screens.

The server is a VMWare server though.

• Hi list,

Today I have been trying to install the sql server 2008 from command line. The installation from command line did not accept the accounts from Active Directory. But when I used "NT Authority\Network Service" as account for the services it all went well. But I really want to use AD accounts for the services. The administrator account went well though. Is there any reason why AD accounts fail?

Further, what is the parametre used to install Visual Studio?

• I have had a similar problem when trying to install on a guest server. The local accounts are accepted but the domain accounts are not. The cause of the problem is not related to the server being a guest, but DBAs building their own guests are more likely to hit the problem than if the server is built by a Windows engineer.

The server you are installing on cannot authenticate accounts on the domain or properly access the host server. I have found two main fixes for this.

1) Is your DNS setup OK. Try adding a domain account to the permissions list for a file. If the permissions dialogue does not accept a domain account you definitely have an authentication issue.

Go to your network connections and open the Properties page of the TCP/IP protocol (or TCP/IP v4 on W2008). If your DNS server address is not present or is wrong this can prevent the server authenticating.

There can be other reasons why you cannot authenticate, but I have hit this one a number of times.

2) Is the domain trusted by the guest. Try accessing a file share on the host server. If you cannot access it then you have a trust problem.

Open Internet Options and click on the Security tab. Click on Trusted Sites and click the Sites button. Add an entry file://hostservername using the real host server name in place of hostservername. Close all the dialogues and try accessing the file share again.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• The /AGTSVCPASSWORD parameter does not like the password value to be in quotes.

I said this in a previous post in this thread because I had an install that failed when the password was quoted and worked when it was not quoted. However I have not been able to repeat this problem and now think my install problem was more likely caused by a failure to authenticate as I have had this issue a number of times. (I build a Hyper-V guest and take a snapshot to capture the vanilla state. I then find the authentication problem and fix it, and at a later date I revert to the snapshot. I sometimes forget to take a new snapshot after the authentication issue is fixed...)

The Agent account is the first account that gets checked in a SQL Server 2008 install. If the server used for the install cannot authenticate domain accounts then you get a standard error message about the Agent password being wrong. It would have been nice if the install had been able to distinguish between a general authentication problem and an account-specific problem but it does not.

Therefore if you get a message about the agent password being wrong, the two things to check are:

1) Have you supplied the right password

2) If you can answer Yes above, then by far the most likely problem is you cannot authenticate against the domain.

• Hi all,

Today I tried again to install SQL SERVER 2008 from command line. The problem I am encountering is that the AGTSVCACCOUNT is not recognised. I tried several times, with or without "PASSWORD". In fact the account worked well when I installed the server using manual installation. This account is valid and worked on frequent manual installations. When I used NT Authority\Network Service, the installation from command line works well. I am getting the account from AD. Has anybody found the solution for this?

Tanks indeed.

Niyala

• You should look in the SQL install logs to find the root cause of this problem.

The Agent account is the first account to be validated, and the same error message is given for a number of different problems. The only way to find the real cause of your problem is to look in the install logs.

• The problem may be due to the fact that you are installing SQL Server 2008 with a local admin account, which can not query the AD store.

If you install SS 2008 using a domain user account, it should completed successfully without any changes needed on the command-line or within the configuration file.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply