trying to learn SQL development

• can some one help me learn by asking some questions on query building basically tasks. also it would  help me crack development interviews.
    last time i attended an interview i totally failed as the guy asked me write several tsql queries by asking some examples.

• deep1 - Sunday, January 27, 2019 11:24 PM

can some one help me learn by asking some questions on query building basically tasks. also it would  help me crack development interviews.
    last time i attended an interview i totally failed as the guy asked me write several tsql queries by asking some examples.

Yes you can can.

Ask your queries or you can reach me at vgmg at gmail.com

Best Regards,
    Vineet Goyal
    92126 45345

can some one help me learn by asking some questions on query building basically tasks. also it would  help me crack development interviews.

Take a look at the Stairways series on this site, in particular those related to T-SQL by Gregory Larson, they are a good learning source and may be what you need to get going.

• HappyGeek - Monday, January 28, 2019 12:26 AM

deep1 - Sunday, January 27, 2019 11:24 PM

Take a look at the Stairways series on this site, in particular those related to T-SQL by Gregory Larson, they are a good learning source and may be what you need to get going.

+ Install SQL server your machine and write basic T-SQL and work on sample databases.

Muthukkumaran Kaliyamoorthy
    https://www.sqlserverblogforum.com/

The examples for a basics interview are pretty simple so that you should be able to fill them in yourself.

Here's a table. Give me this set of columns where one of the columns matches a particular value
    Here's a set of tables and their definitions. Give me a particular set of columns across these tables, joining them together appropriately, and filter the results by a value.
    From this set of tables, aggregate some data to show the maximum and minimum and then filter that aggregated data.

If you can answer those questions, you've got the basics of T-SQL down. You don't need us to provide the questions. I suspect what you're really after here is canned answers. Those I don't provide. They help no one in the long term.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey - Monday, January 28, 2019 5:27 AM

deep1 - Sunday, January 27, 2019 11:24 PM

The examples for a basics interview are pretty simple so that you should be able to fill them in yourself.

Here's a table. Give me this set of columns where one of the columns matches a particular value
    Here's a set of tables and their definitions. Give me a particular set of columns across these tables, joining them together appropriately, and filter the results by a value.
    From this set of tables, aggregate some data to show the maximum and minimum and then filter that aggregated data.

If you can answer those questions, you've got the basics of T-SQL down. You don't need us to provide the questions. I suspect what you're really after here is canned answers. Those I don't provide. They help no one in the long term.

Hi Grant
    thank you for the reply. I am surprised and you know what i read your performance tuning book which is really good  They are pretty straight forward & easy understanding.
    Coming to my post i know the basics of TSQL i am not looking for answers but kind of some complex tasks so i can try solving those by myself so i can learn deep like a developer. just like assignments.
    Basically i am DBA its been long writing queries except for DBA routine tasks.

• Glad to hear the book was useful. Thank you!

In that case, hit the stairways series, especially the more advanced topics. They'll give you lots to work on. Or, build an app yourself. That's how I do most of my own learning, build a database, write a query, get it wrong, do it again til I get it right.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

What were those examples he asked you that you got right and that you got wrong?  That will help us figure out what level you're at so we can make a recommendation.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Here is a page with 500+ T-SQL puzzles that could help. https://msbiskills.com/tsql-puzzles-asked-in-interview-over-the-years/
    You could also try to solve problems from the forums which are more focused on real world problems. You could then compare your solution to other solutions posted.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Grant Fritchey - Monday, January 28, 2019 9:15 AM

Glad to hear the book was useful. Thank you!

In that case, hit the stairways series, especially the more advanced topics. They'll give you lots to work on. Or, build an app yourself. That's how I do most of my own learning, build a database, write a query, get it wrong, do it again til I get it right.

And then get folks here to critique your design. Careful with cursors, though... that's a weapon of last resort!

• Luis Cazares - Monday, January 28, 2019 11:23 AM

Here is a page with 500+ T-SQL puzzles that could help. https://msbiskills.com/tsql-puzzles-asked-in-interview-over-the-years/
    You could also try to solve problems from the forums which are more focused on real world problems. You could then compare your solution to other solutions posted.

Thank you

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply